CAI or drop in filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EMPAC623

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In prep for the new EB Raptor, what are your experiences with tunes/exhaust/intakes for other EB F-150s. Suggestions for best intake? Cold air intake vs. just a drop in K&N filter?

I'm sure this is somewhere so I apologize if it is and you can direct me to the thread.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Typically, most restriction is in the factory intake tube or the usage of a panel style filter. It's basically not worth it to use a drop in unless your only goal is having a cleanable filter. As for filters, the K&N filter is probably one of the worst performing filters you can buy. It flows well, but your engine gets to consume all the crap that the filter doesn't catch. If you're set on a drop in, then see if S&B has an available option. Otherwise, there's plenty of threads on the various intake brands and they all typically make a model that works on the Ecoboost.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd start reading up over in ecoboost forums... from what I recall the CAI did not produce much of any power gain w/ basic bolt ons /tune 3.5eb trucks
(At least early 3.5eb). Now it seems many add simply for the sound. I was guilty of this on other TT platforms, so I get it. The EB cai kits are not cheap tho...

Might be a diff story once you add downpipes, bigger turbos, etc so may be different for us. Time will tell until the first Guinea pigs try them out

OP
OP
E

EMPAC623

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it adds a little. I doubt the claims of +28/28. It's not s magical intake lol. I agree tho it's more for sound than anything. Roush ones seem to be 380 or so. Not to bad of a price. I'll go look over at the eco boost forums, thanks

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of the non-vendor cai posts/threads i read, many came to this conclusion regarding CAI on dynos. Yes, some intakes will respond differently to air while moving, versus shop fan and its placement etc.

Misinformation on mods needs to stop on this forum.

"There is a dyno posted on this site for stock, cai and drop in filter. Then tune with stock intake, cai and drop in filter. Both situations drop in filter gained the same power as cai. 4whp. So best does not work since they all gain the same amount."

The CAIs i was liking were in ~$500 range, likely a Raptor tax to be added across the board. Price aside, if gain is negligible, i think the chance of dealer using your cai to dodge/blame drive-ability issue/etc (minor or not) makes this less desirable.

All this said im sure ill buy one with the tuner as i cant leave good things alone

OP
OP
E

EMPAC623

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of the non-vendor cai posts/threads i read, many came to this conclusion regarding CAI on dynos. Yes, some intakes will respond differently to air while moving, versus shop fan and its placement etc.

Misinformation on mods needs to stop on this forum.

"There is a dyno posted on this site for stock, cai and drop in filter. Then tune with stock intake, cai and drop in filter. Both situations drop in filter gained the same power as cai. 4whp. So best does not work since they all gain the same amount."

The CAIs i was liking were in ~$500 range, likely a Raptor tax to be added across the board. Price aside, if gain is negligible, i think the chance of dealer using your cai to dodge/blame drive-ability issue/etc (minor or not) makes this less desirable.

All this said im sure ill buy one with the tuner as i cant leave good things alone

Yeah thats how its been in the past with my old truck, put a new exhaust on and then my fuel filter went out under warranty, was told my exhaust caused it lol. So I agree a CAI may make them blame me for something, but thats why its also important to keep the old one ;-)

I appreciate the info man, I too will most likely tune and add CAI as well cause well I like the sound :)

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
IIRC the explorers gained power mainly though the tune.

Didn't see a lot of people claiming a CAI was a must.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TwistAir

Latest posts