Borla Exhaust Ford F-150 Raptor 2017+

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a stock truck with S Type. I just ordered the Borla resonator and I’ll report back how it sounds.

I too was vomiting from the sound after I installed the exhaust a few months ago. I posted it for sale, but I was too tired to pull it off.

So I think I’ve gotten used to the sound. Now the sound doesn’t bother me too much until road trips.

If I’m cruzing anywhere at or over 2,000 rpms, the S type drones badly. This sucks because that’s around 65-80 miles mph.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have FOMOco touring with resonator

Mixed news.

It doesn’t “drone” at highway speed but you hear the exhaust buzzing which is highly annoying.

I have a stock truck with S Type. I just ordered the Borla resonator and I’ll report back how it sounds.

I too was vomiting from the sound after I installed the exhaust a few months ago. I posted it for sale, but I was too tired to pull it off.

So I think I’ve gotten used to the sound. Now the sound doesn’t bother me too much until road trips.

If I’m cruzing anywhere at or over 2,000 rpms, the S type drones badly. This sucks because that’s around 65-80 miles mph.

OP
OP
Ian@Borla

Ian@Borla

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Beautiful exhaust

Beautiful quality.

I wish I didn’t already have your Borla FOMOCO touring exhaust.

I’m curious.... the sport with the resonator... how does it compare to my touring? Is it louder? Softer? Less Farty?

Thanks

In terms of sound level and tone, our S-Type system with the resonator will sound similar to the Ford Performance Touring by Borla. The front resonator will quiet down the S-Type and the ATAK systems.

An S-Type with the front resonator would bring the sound level close to how a Touring would sound if we offered it.
An ATAK with the front resonator brings the sound down close to the S-Type system.

Its great to see Borla in the forums! Thanks for posting.

Will you be making a Borla touring exhaust for the raptor as well?

if so, when will it be released and how would it compare to the Borla/Ford Performance Sport exhaust?

We did not originally plan on offering a Touring sound level. The front resonator was designed as a solution to those who feel that the S-Type and ATAK are too loud. An S-Type with the front resonator would bring the sound level close to how a Touring would sound if we offered it. As of right now, we do not plan on offering a Touring system. However, Ford Performance by Borla does offer their own Touring sound level. Ford Performance systems are designed by Ford engineers and we build the systems according to their specifications.

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

Here’s what I sent to Borla to ask about the X pipe and other info.

“Hello, In regards to part number 140693, this should also fit the 2017 F150 3.5L ecoboost correct? What is the thought process to adding a X pipe to a turbocharged engine? Is it basically just to mellow out the exhaust tone? I would think that since there are no exhaust pulses coming through the turbos or lack of ability to effect scavenging that the X pipe would be pointless. Can 140693 be ordered without the x-pipe? Thanks very much!”

And here is the super technical / customer forward response I received:

“This system is made ONLY for vehicles with substantial engine upgrades, like our turbo upgrade kit it is meant to be paired with. If your vehicle is close to stock power-plant wise, this is not the right part. You should order the regular parts.”

I realize this isn’t exactly the same kit as being discussed in this thread but why is borla customer service so severely off base when it comes to their own products?

I apologize for the answer that you received. We can definitely do better than that.

While the X-Pipe is not necessary in terms of performance. Our R&D team did find that it was beneficial for tone and sound. We do not recommend a true dual exhaust system unless your vehicle is highly modified. Unfortunately, we do not offer part number 140693 without the x-pipe. Sorry about that.

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

If anyone is experiencing drone, please do not hesitate to call us at 1-877-462-6752 (Monday-Friday 7:30am-4:00pm PST).

Thank you!

MGD

Banned
Reaction score
In terms of sound level and tone, our S-Type system with the resonator will sound similar to the Ford Performance Touring by Borla. The front resonator will quiet down the S-Type and the ATAK systems.

An S-Type with the front resonator would bring the sound level close to how a Touring would sound if we offered it.
An ATAK with the front resonator brings the sound down close to the S-Type system.

We did not originally plan on offering a Touring sound level. The front resonator was designed as a solution to those who feel that the S-Type and ATAK are too loud. An S-Type with the front resonator would bring the sound level close to how a Touring would sound if we offered it. As of right now, we do not plan on offering a Touring system. However, Ford Performance by Borla does offer their own Touring sound level. Ford Performance systems are designed by Ford engineers and we build the systems according to their specifications.

---------- Post added at 03:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

I apologize for the answer that you received. We can definitely do better than that.

While the X-Pipe is not necessary in terms of performance. Our R&D team did find that it was beneficial for tone and sound. We do not recommend a true dual exhaust system unless your vehicle is highly modified. Unfortunately, we do not offer part number 140693 without the x-pipe. Sorry about that.

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

If anyone is experiencing drone, please do not hesitate to call us at 1-877-462-6752 (Monday-Friday 7:30am-4:00pm PST).

Thank you!

Ian - polyphonic. What is the status of this? Your generic muffler does make this engine sound worse. Your polyphonic fixes this... What's the status????????????

Predator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ian@Borla -- what Borla configuration offers:
  • Reasonably Louder than stock
  • Deeper tone and rumble over stock
  • No Farty Sounds <<< big no no
  • No Drone at Highway Speeds <<< another big no no

???

Please share. We all want to know. Thanks!

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried 3 different exhausts.

There is a farty sound under 2500 RPM that is worse with light to moderate acceleration.

You can’t get rid of it. You can either baffle it into extinction via the stock exhaust or live with it.

That’s also the reason that a catback yields 10-15 horsepower. The stock catback is very muffled to address the nasty sound. Open it up and you get a little power, but you have to live with the new vocals.

Ian@Borla -- what Borla configuration offers:
  • Reasonably Louder than stock
  • Deeper tone and rumble over stock
  • No Farty Sounds <<< big no no
  • No Drone at Highway Speeds <<< another big no no

???

Please share. We all want to know. Thanks!

jikjak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the Borla S-type and ATAK as well as the Ford Performance sport and touring exhausts give the same gains of 10-15hp? Or do certain exhausts yield more gains?

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the Borla exhausts do, including the FOMOCO varieties.

Keep in mind that 10-15 horsepower is bhp so you get about 5-10at the wheels.

Do the Borla S-type and ATAK as well as the Ford Performance sport and touring exhausts give the same gains of 10-15hp? Or do certain exhausts yield more gains?

jikjak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gains are minimal but any idea if the borla and fomoco exhausts make about the same amount of hp or do the louder (less restrictive) ones produce more than the quieter ones?

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope.

That’s what’s you get. 5-10 at the wheels regardless of the tone.

You get another 5-10 if you do catted downpipes with them. Put it together and you’ll get about 15 which is something, albeit small.

The gains are minimal but any idea if the borla and fomoco exhausts make about the same amount of hp or do the louder (less restrictive) ones produce more than the quieter ones?