Best all around octane tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrifterGTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who is making a tune that is capable of automatically compensating for the octane of the fuel I'm running? I happen to live in a place where 93 and e85 can be found easily l. But when I'm out and about enjoying some of that natural splendor; 93 can be difficult to find up in the mountains.

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one makes a flex fuel tune yet. MPT keeps the stock octane adjust system. Some other tuners disable it.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What reaper said ^^^^. Right now, the “best” all around tune would be the MPT 91. Like reaper said, the oem knock control it will back down the timing easily for the 87 and ramp it up for the 93.

OP
OP
DrifterGTR

DrifterGTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the best option as far as loading the tune? I'm not super thrilled about the Ngage; it seems like it isn't the best option out there.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Apparently Gearhead only makes one tune, or all octanes - there is no 91 or 93 - it is just one tune, any octane auto adjust like stock.

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ANd Gearhead does not offer a tow tune. WHipple is the same . BRew city? DO a search if you are serious. THis has been answer in depth

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No one makes a flex fuel tune yet. MPT keeps the stock octane adjust system. Some other tuners disable it.

I did not realize MPT leaves the stock octane adjustment in place. I had read that about GH, but this is the first time I heard it about MPT tunes. Which leads to the obvious question of why MPT needs different tunes if the adjustment between the octanes is automatic?

Also, can the 93 PRX adjust down to 87 or is it somehow limited? I will run 93 most of the time, but when traveling out of state, 93 is not always available.

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not realize MPT leaves the stock octane adjustment in place. I had read that about GH, but this is the first time I heard it about MPT tunes. Which leads to the obvious question of why MPT needs different tunes if the adjustment between the octanes is automatic?

Also, can the 93 PRX adjust down to 87 or is it somehow limited? I will run 93 most of the time, but when traveling out of state, 93 is not always available.

Probably because people don't understand how it works and think they need 15 diffrent tunes. And it take awhile for it to adjust

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Probably because people don't understand how it works and think they need 15 diffrent tunes. And it take awhile for it to adjust

I sure hope MPT knows how it works... :biggrin:

My question was asking why "MPT" thinks they need different octane tunes. GH only has one tune and I was considering them for that very reason, but I really wanted to get the higher performance from MPT. Now that I know they also leave the octane adjustments in place, I feel I made the right decision all the way around... :smile:

Gsteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I sure hope MPT knows how it works... :biggrin:

My question was asking why "MPT" thinks they need different octane tunes. GH only has one tune and I was considering them for that very reason, but I really wanted to get the higher performance from MPT. Now that I know they also leave the octane adjustments in place, I feel I made the right decision all the way around... :smile:

I dont understand why they make the various tunes either? If they leave the knock senor in , or as they claim , make it work even better , why the various tunes???