Back Fire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Monster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a trip home from a gas station, 91 octane, sport mode, accelerated to 45mph and let off the gas, back fired. Happened several more times on that drive. That was at 2500 miles. Hasn’t happened since, and I’m at 5000 miles.

Msb.19d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does occasionally after fueling, but then stops and will not repeat it. I never payed much attention to it.

---------- Post added at 12:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 AM ----------

Installing bigger turbos next week, will see if it fixes it

CatchMeOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This issue has been discussed multiple times in multiple threads. The trucks do this even with stock exhaust, but it is not very noticeable and just sounds like burble and slight crackling. Aftermarket exhausts that are more free-flowing let more of the sound out.

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Kinda like a fart in a kilt or skin tight jeans. End result is the same

Spearchucker

Reaction score
Im new to this forum, has anyone posted any answers to this backfiring after fueling? My truck does it too, the Dealers clueless, had it in twice with no results.

Higgs Boson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A backfire does not happen in the exhaust. A backfire is a "back-fire" meaning flowing backwards, in other words, combustion occuring in the intake manifold, which was a thing with carburators and an intake manifold full of fuel, not fuel injected engines and definitely not direct injected engines.

What causes popping in the exhaust is retarded spark timing and also retarded exhaust valve closing causing combustion to occur late and with an open exhaust valve making audible popping. Going from acceleration to sudden closed throttle is a good way to produce it. Current Jaguars and Range Rovers (SVR's especially) pop like crazy on decel, tuned in by the factory calibrators because it sounds awesome.

FullAuto

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've experienced this too on a bone stock truck, the first time I filled up...

Same, my truck did it stock the first time I filled up. I was cruising down a street with buildings on both sides and it was noticeable popping when coming to a stop. I haven't had it happen since. It's a shame because I liked it.

CCole77

Reaction score
Have same issue. I agree that I think it has something to do with the vapor recovery system or the filler on the gas tank. Wish I could just go back to the standard gas cap...

Spearchucker

Reaction score
I have this problem too, popping in decel after getting regular gas for a few blocks,I tried Sun Ultra 93 octane and 3 tanks no pop, just got 91 octane and heard 1 slight pop,really do I have to buy the most expensive gas? Is it a tuning thing? Anyone get an answer yet?

Gargamel

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds like it's related to tuning since it changes with octane. The eco runs rich as it is, so wonder how the tune compensation (based on octane used) works with that.