Available Tunes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HP Tuners announced last week that they now have a TCM (trans tune)

"HP Tuners with Cesar Gonzalez Aguilar.Like Page

March 30 at 12:49pm

Here at HP Tuners, Thursdays aren't for #Throwbacks, they're just another day of innovation, performance, and technology...so without further ado, we're excited to announce that VCM Suite is now the FIRST software to offer FULL tuning support for the Ford Motor Company 10R 10-speed transmission in the 2017+ Ford F150 and Ford F-150 SVT Raptor!!!

For more details, please visit: https://www.hptuners.com/forum/show...-10R-Ten-Speed-Transmission-TCM-Now-Supported

Sitdown, they are simply stating that the software now supports tuning the 10 speed not that there is a tune. HP us only software...in case you didn't know. If so, continue as you were!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want it to not skip gears get into the pedal more or use sport mode. The reason is skips gears is to keep the RPMs as low as possible for the best gas mileage thats what normal mode is specifically for. Drive around in sport mode if you want the transmission to skip less gears.

You dont want a 10 speed transmission to constantly shift through each gear, thats going to create a lot of extra heat and wear.

I really appreciate the feedback. I would love to use sport mode, but for my driving style, it is way too aggressive and overkill for daily driving. I can see where it would be extremely fun, but not a solution for me.

As for skipping gears, here are my thoughts. If having 10 gears creates issues with extra heat and wear due to all of the shifting, then I honestly would have preferred an 8 speed gearbox with what I will call naturally spaced gearing. I have first gear revving higher than I would like so it can skip second gear, third gear doing the same thing so it can skip fourth, and for some strange reason, fifth gear kind of doing the same thing even though it doesn't need to do so to skip a gear. Seventh through tenth shift wonderfully. With ten gears, I definitely think skipping gears can be done and makes sense, but the way the transmission is programmed, it just doesn't do it very smoothly. For example, from my perspective, unless you come to a complete stop, the transmission should never try to use first unless you are really getting into the gas. If I am at a slow roll, my truck will downshift to first and then quickly go to third when shifting into second then third would have been much smoother. I'm sure they will make things better, so I am just patiently waiting. Until then, the transmission programming leaves a lot to be desired from my perspective.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I’ve been meaning to watch the gear indicator during a “California Stop”. Once in a while I take off and a little into take off I can feel the truck downshift , so I think I’m still in a higher than 1st gear sometimes.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I really appreciate the feedback. I would love to use sport mode, but for my driving style, it is way too aggressive and overkill for daily driving. I can see where it would be extremely fun, but not a solution for me.

As for skipping gears, here are my thoughts. If having 10 gears creates issues with extra heat and wear due to all of the shifting, then I honestly would have preferred an 8 speed gearbox with what I will call naturally spaced gearing. I have first gear revving higher than I would like so it can skip second gear, third gear doing the same thing so it can skip fourth, and for some strange reason, fifth gear kind of doing the same thing even though it doesn't need to do so to skip a gear. Seventh through tenth shift wonderfully. With ten gears, I definitely think skipping gears can be done and makes sense, but the way the transmission is programmed, it just doesn't do it very smoothly. For example, from my perspective, unless you come to a complete stop, the transmission should never try to use first unless you are really getting into the gas. If I am at a slow roll, my truck will downshift to first and then quickly go to third when shifting into second then third would have been much smoother. I'm sure they will make things better, so I am just patiently waiting. Until then, the transmission programming leaves a lot to be desired from my perspective.

The Ford engineers know what they are doing. Like I said, if you want it to hit all the gears then run in sport mode.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Ford engineers know what they are doing. Like I said, if you want it to hit all the gears then run in sport mode.

The Ford engineers are undeniably very intelligent, but the programming on the new transmision is far from perfect in my opinion. I firmly believe it will receive a fairly significant software update in the future which will substantiate what I am saying. Only time will tell.

Instead of running in sport mode, I found driving in tow mode much more palatable, but still not ideal.

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Ford engineers are undeniably very intelligent, but the programming on the new transmision is far from perfect in my opinion. I firmly believe it will receive a fairly significant software update in the future which will substantiate what I am saying. Only time will tell.

Instead of running in sport mode, I found driving in tow mode much more palatable, but still not ideal.

The way it acts is no different that the 8L90E that GM uses. You either like them or you want your 6 speed back. I currently own both and they work as designed.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The way it acts is no different that the 8L90E that GM uses. You either like them or you want your 6 speed back. I currently own both and they work as designed.

I appreciate all your input and have enjoyed chatting with you, but it sounds like we just have different opinions. As far as the GM transmission, while it is mechanically the same transmission, each manufacturer did their own programming, so they do not behave the same. If you have not picked up on those differences, then you probably aren't looking at things as critically as I am. I am sincerely glad that you're happy with the programming and I wish that I could be there with you, but that just isn't the case. Maybe some day?

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate all your input and have enjoyed chatting with you, but it sounds like we just have different opinions. As far as the GM transmission, while it is mechanically the same transmission, each manufacturer did their own programming, so they do not behave the same. If you have not picked up on those differences, then you probably aren't looking at things as critically as I am. I am sincerely glad that you're happy with the programming and I wish that I could be there with you, but that just isn't the case. Maybe some day?

Have the 8L90E in an escalade and also in a Z06 and they do shit very similar. Are they exactly the, no as they are, as you point out, tuned differently and one has two more gears. The point being is they are made to short shit or skip gears as need to keep the RPM,s down. Is there room for improvement, yes but overall I'm happy with both of the transmission.

Hopefully, with some time, it will improve or your liking of it will as no one wants to drive something they are not enjoying.