Auto start/stop permanantly disable - youtube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paulny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it seems this issue has just dragged on. Some people are responding to things other people did when the previous 10 posts are about a totally different method. So to recap...there are basically 3 popular ways of disabling Auto Start/Stop Permanently (but reversible):

1) Place a jumper into the dash switch as detailed in a YouTube video by user heyjacks
2) Forscan change(s)
3) Unplug a little plug down by your left foot

Problems/drawbacks:
1) Light stays on all the time. Intermittently stops working based on unique ignition, door opening, locking, etc. sequences. Also can be reset to working through similar gyrations.
2) Not really any...especially if you do all 3 changes in Forscan...with option to leave the switch still functional as an override if you do occasionally want Auto Start/Stop ON.
3) Not entirely understood what is being "tricked" or simply deactivated. Shows notification in IDC. When towing, do you need to plug it back in?

??? Suggestion: add the latest updates to these methods but try to be clear which method you are discussing: Dash Switch Jumper, Forscan Changes, Unplug Connector from ECM towing/control trailer tow module part# GL3T-19H378-AC (or similar) by left foot. Would be really helpful if you don't have your vehicle listed in your profile or sig so it shows up with your post...if you mentioned what year your truck is.

Here are some pictures of the Unplug Option 3. I have not tried this method as I intend to implement the Forscan changes in the next few days and see how I like it on my 2018. Pretty sure it's that bottom connector here:

Are you referring to the last little plug at the bottom (option 3) or the middle smaller white plug beneath the top big white plug? Thanks!

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the Jumper Wire 6 Months ago. Once it has failed to deactivate the ASS, but I've never pulled my dash apart again. It was late when I got home, so parked it overnight, decided to deal with it the next day. Went out the following morning, started the truck and what do you know, it was working again.

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you referring to the last little plug at the bottom (option 3) or the middle smaller white plug beneath the top big white plug? Thanks!

I don't know...just quoting and recapping. See post #86. I'd guess the very bottom one.

flzrider

Reaction score
So it seems this issue has just dragged on. Some people are responding to things other people did when the previous 10 posts are about a totally different method. So to recap...there are basically 3 popular ways of disabling Auto Start/Stop Permanently (but reversible):

1) Place a jumper into the dash switch as detailed in a YouTube video by user heyjacks
2) Forscan change(s)
3) Unplug a little plug down by your left foot

Problems/drawbacks:
1) Light stays on all the time. Intermittently stops working based on unique ignition, door opening, locking, etc. sequences. Also can be reset to working through similar gyrations.
2) Not really any...especially if you do all 3 changes in Forscan...with option to leave the switch still functional as an override if you do occasionally want Auto Start/Stop ON.
3) Not entirely understood what is being "tricked" or simply deactivated. Shows notification in IDC. When towing, do you need to plug it back in?

??? Suggestion: add the latest updates to these methods but try to be clear which method you are discussing: Dash Switch Jumper, Forscan Changes, Unplug Connector from ECM towing/control trailer tow module part# GL3T-19H378-AC (or similar) by left foot. Would be really helpful if you don't have your vehicle listed in your profile or sig so it shows up with your post...if you mentioned what year your truck is.

Here are some pictures of the Unplug Option 3. I have not tried this method as I intend to implement the Forscan changes in the next few days and see how I like it on my 2018. Pretty sure it's that bottom connector here:

That's a good recap of everything that has been discussed in this thread.

Personally, I would like to see a solution similar to this one: Stop/Start Custom Disabling Device Build - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

It's essentially a timer that mimics the pressing of the start/stop button. This one has the least drawbacks because it is not fooling the car in any way, it simply automates the pressing of the button.

bfr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just use FORScan and be done with it. So easy and so many other cool things you can do with it.

I agree. Just made a bunch of FORScan changes yesterday. Nice thing with using FORScan to make the change is you can make Auto Stop/Start disabled the default...but yet maintain use of the Auto Stop/Start dash button if you at times want to turn it on. (at least that's how I think it works)

EDIT: Correction... When turned off in BCM module it is OFF, period. If you don't turn off the button functionality in FCIM module, when you press the button the light will still illuminate and toggle between ON and OFF (even though feature is always OFF). Same is true for the instrument panel cluster message: if you don't make the change in IPC module, when you start the truck it will say "Auto Start/Stop has been deactivated by button" or something like that...and any additional presses of the button will toggle the message back and forth (again, even though feature is always still disabled because of the main change you made in BCM). You must go back into the BCM module if you ever want to turn it back ON (and make the changes for the button and the messages too.)

Anyway, simple change like all the FORScan stuff...I would equate it to changing a value in an Excel spreadsheet.

Last edited:

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I saw this thread yesterday, and, like many, I am less than enamored of auto start/stop. I looked into the trailer light circuit testers, even though the round ones seemed to be a bit large (some have even said "*****-like"...YMMV). I saw some of the 4-pin ones online that looked much smaller, and I wondered if they would work, too (you'd think they would, but...).

Well, I happened to be near Northern Tool at lunchtime...bought this 4-pin trailer light tester for $5.99. Just over an inch long, it is nearly invisible when installed.

7859332.jpg

Fooled truck into thinking trailer there, bye-bye auto start/stop, and backup cam still worked...but no backup warnings or cross-traffic alerts. No forscan, no cracking the dash open. Only question will be if it holds up to weather/moisture. If it doesn't, I'm out a whole $6.

Just FYI for a simple/cheap work-around.

Last edited:

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I saw this thread yesterday, and, like many, I am less than enamored of auto start/stop. I looked into the trailer light circuit testers, even though the round ones seemed to be a bit large (some have even said "*****-like"...YMMV). I saw some of the 4-pin ones online that looked much smaller, and I wondered if they would work, too (you'd think they would, but...).

Well, I happened to be near Northern Tool at lunchtime...bought this 4-pin trailer light tester for $5.99. Just over an inch long, it is nearly invisible when installed.

7859332.jpg

Fooled truck into thinking trailer there, bye-bye auto start/stop, and backup cam still worked. No forscan, no cracking the dash open. Only question will be if it holds up to weather/moisture. If it doesn't, I'm out a whole $6.

Just FYI for a simple/cheap work-around.

Not sure if it matter to you but if the truck thinks there is a trailer attached all the time it will act like there is one, changed in shift patterns, hour meter showing hours for it.