Anyone using this drop-in AIRAID filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As an example, Whipple did dyno and flow testing to prove their intake resulted in more power.

Also, what's the reason behind thinking that bigger and more free flowing exhaust/downpipes won't give more power?

EDITED to add that I remember seeing a dyno graph somewhere from Whipple but can't find it and it's not on Whipple's website. They only make the claims of power without the graphs.

Last edited:

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I see a lot of guys saying Ill put on a cold air intake in here cause the filter does not make any power. Do you guys know at all that the intake wont make more power either? The intake/exhaust will not give you any HP or TQ once the truck is tuned. Its a complete waste of money unless you are paying for the sound only factor. Anyway not to dog the sponsors on here that sell intakes and other stuff but in reality did anyone on here ever put an intake on and took their car to the dyno? if no one has done that just to prove things Im saying I can go buy an intake and buy an exhaust and do a before and after dyno pull on the same dyno back to back or wait for the truck to be the same temp. There are only 3 mods you can do to this truck that will actually give you power.

1. Tune (best bang for the buck)
2. Intercooler (no HP gain but you wont loose HP as much on the hot runs if you are hot lapping the truck)
3. Bigger Turbos

Please correct me if Im wrong but I believe the stock intake is perfect just with a filter since the filter wont do anything either but give you a bit better sound out of the truck. I know this subject may hurt some feelings but am I just talking out of my butt here?

OK you're wrong and I'll correct you. OEM's typically go for best filtration on intakes, not best flow. It's a balance. Aftermarket is the opposite, max flow at the cost of less filtration.

A good aftermarket intercooler will absolutely allow the motor to make more power, thinking otherwise is wrong. IAT's are very important to keep low - the stock IC sucks big time, it will get overwhelmed during ONE dyno run. Ford even says to not mount the license plate over the IC grill if desert running. There are 2 benefits to a good IC vs OEM. Lower IAT's (and more consistent) and lower pressure drop, meaning it is more free flowing. The higher ambient and the more heat you are pushing through the system, the more beneficial an IC will be. With winter temps, a better IC will be less effective than in summer temps but it will always be better.

Free flowing exhaust is super important to turbo vehicles, any back pressure is a detriment. I have no idea how restrictive the stock CATs are or the stock exhaust is but I would bet anything there is ~20HP easy from a freer flowing turbo back system.

Many years ago I had a Volvo S60R - 5 cyl turbo 300HP motor. Some avid enthusiasts did some testing and found that the STOCK airbox would go into vacuum at full boost, meaning the motor was requesting more air than the stock intake could provide. This was proven with a manometer. IIRC the airbox would achieve -3 psi in vacuum. Point is, not all OEM boxes are created equally. There are companies out there that have dynos proving HP gains with intakes - just remember it's at the expense of filtration. Not saying this is happening with the Raptor as I've never seen anyone test it.

Kamil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK you're wrong and I'll correct you. OEM's typically go for best filtration on intakes, not best flow. It's a balance. Aftermarket is the opposite, max flow at the cost of less filtration.

A good aftermarket intercooler will absolutely allow the motor to make more power, thinking otherwise is wrong. IAT's are very important to keep low - the stock IC sucks big time, it will get overwhelmed during ONE dyno run. Ford even says to not mount the license plate over the IC grill if desert running. There are 2 benefits to a good IC vs OEM. Lower IAT's (and more consistent) and lower pressure drop, meaning it is more free flowing. The higher ambient and the more heat you are pushing through the system, the more beneficial an IC will be. With winter temps, a better IC will be less effective than in summer temps but it will always be better.

Free flowing exhaust is super important to turbo vehicles, any back pressure is a detriment. I have no idea how restrictive the stock CATs are or the stock exhaust is but I would bet anything there is ~20HP easy from a freer flowing turbo back system.

Many years ago I had a Volvo S60R - 5 cyl turbo 300HP motor. Some avid enthusiasts did some testing and found that the STOCK airbox would go into vacuum at full boost, meaning the motor was requesting more air than the stock intake could provide. This was proven with a manometer. IIRC the airbox would achieve -3 psi in vacuum. Point is, not all OEM boxes are created equally. There are companies out there that have dynos proving HP gains with intakes - just remember it's at the expense of filtration. Not saying this is happening with the Raptor as I've never seen anyone test it.

Great Info

Thanks a lot for taking the time and explaining that in detail. I really appreciate the input.

I was gonna get an intercooler either way. I just dont know which one is the best one out there for the Raptor and performs the best.

So far I have a tune the next mod for sure is a good IC

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great Info

Thanks a lot for taking the time and explaining that in detail. I really appreciate the input.

I was gonna get an intercooler either way. I just dont know which one is the best one out there for the Raptor and performs the best.

So far I have a tune the next mod for sure is a good IC

NP. My educated guess is that the Full-Race will perform best.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not so sure it’s not Whipple. — with the caveat that the Full Race likely has more capacity for extreme temperature, very high horsepower motors

There is also mishimoto.

NP. My educated guess is that the Full-Race will perform best.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m not so sure it’s not Whipple. — with the caveat that the Full Race likely has more capacity for extreme temperature, very high horsepower motors

There is also mishimoto.

It's not whipple, promise. It doesn't get enough air and isn't as big as Full Race. The stock location is pretty ****** for an IC.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bigger isn’t always better.

It's not whipple, promise. It doesn't get enough air and isn't as big as Full Race. The stock location is pretty ****** for an IC.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bigger isn’t always better.
Mostly true, but I can tell you that the IC for my 2.0 Golf R is even bigger than the Full Race unit. Also, height is the most important dimension for a heat exchanger, if you want the details I can go into it but I'm afraid it will bore most to death. The biggest problem with the whipple unit is it's location vs full race. Not a chance in hell it will outperform it.

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was watching my IATs during the summer here, I would see the temp drop 20-30 degrees during WOT runs from the Full Race IC.

I've done some good runs in the desert during the summer and haven't felt any noticeable power loss power loss over time.

Kamil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great info thanks guys.

I got this filter today gonna throw it innthe truck see how it does ;) shooting for 100hp extra lol