Anyone install Aftermarket Intercooler on their 2017 Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My assumption is the "tornado" in the intake is to reduce intake noise... it's crazy how much NVH is attributed to intake sound... they're definitely restrictive just due to surface area reduction it does force the air like a fluid to move differently... I think anyone kidding the intake wants more sound and airflow...

Many cars get good power gains just removing restrictions and optimizing airflow using the stock parts - and keep hot air out which is really important.

For sure.. you will always find lots of folks throwing money at things that yield little to no gains... I had a 2006 Volvo S60R - basically a turbo 5 cyl motor putting out 300HP. We discovered that under FULL boost, the intake box had a vacuum inside of it, it was measured with a manometer and IIRC had something like 3-5psi of vacuum. There was a very simple fix to eliminate this problem - my point is, sometimes OEM's can do things that lead to some head scratching.

One thing that was stressed over and over and over in my fluid dynamics was to never restrict the inlet of pumps. It's the worst thing you can do, and since the turbo and engine are pumps, yeah we don't want to do that. Again, compromises are made and it is our job to figure out what is acceptable and what isn't (if you care enough).

Anyway, I am getting this thread WAY off the rails :biggrin:

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you dropped the resonator too? I think that probably is what is keeping the exhaust noise down in the stock system. I noticed that with my Gibson muffler, at idle, it was still very quiet, and even wide open, it wasn't that loud. You are right about the stock muffler being necked down, I was very surprised to see that. I am not even sure it's even 2 3/4. Could be smaller.

Thanks for posting the video! I was thinking about cutouts, and hearing what it sounds like w/o mufflers at wide open... it's not bad :)

OP
OP
M

MadRaptor65

Reaction score
So you dropped the resonator too? I think that probably is what is keeping the exhaust noise down in the stock system. I noticed that with my Gibson muffler, at idle, it was still very quiet, and even wide open, it wasn't that loud. You are right about the stock muffler being necked down, I was very surprised to see that. I am not even sure it's even 2 3/4. Could be smaller.

Thanks for posting the video! I was thinking about cutouts, and hearing what it sounds like w/o mufflers at wide open... it's not bad :)

The Resonator is 2 3/4''. A 2 1/2'' pipe will slide through the Resonator. The Muffler was like 2 1/2'' in/out.
We ran it with Stock system cut off just behind the Cross sprt. It really sounded great. There is something causing a high pitch pinging sound down the 3'' pipe to the Tip. A cut out just behind the Cross sprt would sound great! Thinking outside the box, I am thinking that if I coated the outside of the Pipe with Bedliner material, at the rear of the exhaust system. It doesn't get that hot the last 3 ft. of the system. it might deaden some of the High pitch Pinging sounds. I will keep playing with it. I am retired so I have a lot of time to play around with it.

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may be better off with a 3ft long resonator. I did this in my last Cummins and it took a lot of the high frequencies out. Doesn't restrict flow either, since it's a flow thru.