Anyone experience engine misfire/oil burning up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bhollier, thanks for the help.

I'm actually getting a brand new truck, same one, but is there a way to program that stop start feature out or is that just a wish of yours? Otherwise, your just saying shut that off every time I start up the truck?

Additionally, aside from changing plugs out, any other recommendations? Really don't want any issues on the new truck...

You can also get a trailer light checker for $6...does the same thing.

So, I saw this thread yesterday, and, like many, I am less than enamored of auto start/stop. I looked into the trailer light circuit testers, even though the round ones seemed to be a bit large (some have even said "*****-like"...YMMV). I saw some of the 4-pin ones online that looked much smaller, and I wondered if they would work, too (you'd think they would, but...).

Well, I happened to be near Northern Tool at lunchtime...bought this 4-pin trailer light tester for $5.99. Just over an inch long, it is nearly invisible when installed.

7859332.jpg

Fooled truck into thinking trailer there, bye-bye auto start/stop, and backup cam still worked...but no backup warnings or cross-traffic alerts. No forscan, no cracking the dash open. Only question will be if it holds up to weather/moisture. If it doesn't, I'm out a whole $6.

Just FYI for a simple/cheap work-around.

Been running this since November with no issues.

diverdoc

Reaction score
A follow up to my issues. I just had the valve covers replaced and of course it did not solve the engine rapping noise. Both the mechanic and the service writter knows the engine will let loose at some point. The rapping is getting louider. Ford now tells the mechanic that he must replace the oil pump and a valve sensor before going any further. Again the dealership knows this will not solve the engine noise, but they state they must follow protocol. In the mean time, it is count down to lemon law for me. 2 more weeks in the shop and I am there....

OLD POST:
"On the oill burn issue. This truck has been through 4 quarts of oil in 6k miles. IT'S A NEW TRUCK AND I ONLY HAVE 6K ON IT!!! There are no leaks that anyone can see. I also see no smoke from my tail pipe. I wonder if is going into my coolant (head gasket or crack in block). Or did someone not put enough oil in it? I am not in a habit of checking oil levels on such low milage car.

As for the noise I get, I think it valve train. (I was a mechanic for almost 10 years). The dealer thinks it might be a rod going......

Ford doesn't want to do anything yet and wants me to drive it another 500 miles, then bring it in so that they can check the oil level. (yes I will monitor it now daily.)

The big question is what long term damage is done to the engine now?[/QUOTE]

mad man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the Lemon law kicks in after 30 consecutive days in the shop , or a total of 30 days back and forth in the shop for the same problem. If they play hard ball, get a lawyer!

Last edited:

Larryflt

Reaction score
My truck just went in yesterday 4700 miles on the odometer. On the way to work mid acceleration , misfired at 40 mph engine light came on and blinked. Received call today #5 coil pack to be replaced and spark plug. Should get it back Tuesday. Leadfoot Gray 2018 . Purchased in February. My first ecoboost and coming over from a long line of Diesel ownership. Love the truck. Just reading everyone’s threads and getting an idea of what other issues to look out for. Anyone have this issue ? I’ve seen a few posts for #3 Coil pack and to replace the spark plugs.