Anyone experience engine misfire/oil burning up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Coffee710

Reaction score
Nope I’m not Sasquatch or whoever you’re referring to. Appreciate that your not jacking the thread or trying to toss me under to lose cred.

Ford had to replace the engine in entirety. At first they said they were giving me a small block, keep all non engine parts and I fought for new full block engine. Reluctantly they agreed, but since it was in the shop for over sixty days, they are working on full replacement.

Lemon law took effect in Illinois at 30 days and I’m not a fan of keeping a truck with a new engine but have 5000 miles on the odometer. As it sticks with the original warranty. Additionally the truck sat in the garage, with winter grime for two months so I’m sure that had some impact on the paint.

That’s the only positive tip, if you have a misfire engine, get a car wash before you take it in as you don’t know how long it’ll be in for.

chrisk2361

Reaction score
So, I have the same problem for the past year. I lost 2.5 quarts of oil every time my truck acts up. The dealer goes through the checklist to diagnose the mis fire and lost in power when accelerating. The first time in the shop, they blame it on the PDF value letting the oil go to the exhaust. So the value was replaced. Filled it with oil and told to come back a month later to change oil and check for amount of oil lost.
The truck drove great over the next 6 months. Then last Monday, trying to accelerate the truck got up to 4th gear then felt like it drop the 1st. I limped my way home and drop truck off to dealer.
This time dealer said a bulletin came out yesterday saying that the value covers was defective and can cause oil to not flow back down. They ordered the covers.
I hope they know what they are doing this time. I hope to pick truck up tomorrow.

Now I have to decide if I should trade it in and go buy another truck.

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nope I’m not Sasquatch or whoever you’re referring to. Appreciate that your not jacking the thread or trying to toss me under to lose cred.

Ford had to replace the engine in entirety. At first they said they were giving me a small block, keep all non engine parts and I fought for new full block engine. Reluctantly they agreed, but since it was in the shop for over sixty days, they are working on full replacement.

Lemon law took effect in Illinois at 30 days and I’m not a fan of keeping a truck with a new engine but have 5000 miles on the odometer. As it sticks with the original warranty. Additionally the truck sat in the garage, with winter grime for two months so I’m sure that had some impact on the paint.

That’s the only positive tip, if you have a misfire engine, get a car wash before you take it in as you don’t know how long it’ll be in for.

Can you post pics? Work order, truck, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
C

Coffee710

Reaction score
My truck, after I just installed Rigids and a light bar in my freezing garage for five hours

Service report shows my day in and when truck left along with long block replacement, etc...

Hope it's an isolated incident, as they found metal in mine with low oil. Like I said, came here to see if I could stay ahead of the dealers and Ford in itself when the dealer said this will take some time. They couldn't provide answers as there was a lot of back and forth between Engineering, Mechanics, etc, and it absolutely sucked. It wasn't until it went to the RAV department (outright replacement) that the process improved and I was given one point of contact. Pre-RAV, the process, never spoke to the same person. It was tiring and if I could offer advice, pick up when they call because they never pickup at the number that they leave. RAV department was helpful though, let's hope they pull through and get me the same darn truck and that there are no issues with it!

Attachments

• Truck.png
    Truck.png
    583.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Truck 1.png
    Truck 1.png
    416.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Truck 2.png
    Truck 2.png
    406.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Truck 4.png
    Truck 4.png
    406.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Coffee710

Reaction score
I have spoken with a couple of people that complained about oil burn and rough idol. 2 things here to consider.
1. It is a turbo engine, needs time to warm up from a cold start. Best practice is to start the vehicle and let it get to temp before driving off. It is a pain but will keep the engine and turbos lubricated properly. Will lessen the chance of turbo failure and engine fatigue.
2. Misfire can be corrected with running new plugs. Turbos burn through plugs quick. I suggest going with the cooler running plugs like those in the GT. switched mine out and have not had rough idol since and I have a heavily modified engine.

It is hard to compare a turbo engine to a natural aspirated engine. They require a little more TLC and care when operating. Be prepared to do a little more maintenance than the older Gen1 V8.

7000 miles on mine with lots of engine mods and no issues. However, I do a lot of preventive maintenance on all my cars since they are all turbo. Hope this helps.

One last thing to consider is removing the ship start feature. I don’t know what engineer figured that it would be wise to add this to a performance turbo engine but he needs to have his ass beat for being stupid. That is the worst thing for these engines. Have that programmed out ASAP. That puts unnessacary strain on the cooling and lubricating system. Best to let it idol and circulate fluids.

Bhollier, thanks for the help.

I'm actually getting a brand new truck, same one, but is there a way to program that stop start feature out or is that just a wish of yours? Otherwise, your just saying shut that off every time I start up the truck?

Additionally, aside from changing plugs out, any other recommendations? Really don't want any issues on the new truck...

Last edited:

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm actually getting a brand new truck, same one, but is there a way to program that stop start feature out or is that just a wish of yours? Otherwise, your just saying shut that off every time I start up the truck?

Additionally, aside from changing plugs out, any other recommendations? Really don't want any issues on the new truck...

Look for the wire work around on youtube. I utilized that method for the first 5000 miles and it worked great. Very easy to accomplish. I then installed an MPT tune that deprograms the auto start/stop. That has worked great for the last 16,000 miles. Best Wishes for your new Rap.

OP
OP
C

Coffee710

Reaction score
Look for the wire work around on youtube. I utilized that method for the first 5000 miles and it worked great. Very easy to accomplish. I then installed an MPT tune that deprograms the auto start/stop. That has worked great for the last 16,000 miles. Best Wishes for your new Rap.

Thanks for the tip!

Cheers!

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oil consumption is hit or miss with all of my Fords.

The 5.4L in my old truck needed a quart every 2000 miles.
The 4.6L in my Mustang uses no oil.
The 3.5L in my Edge uses no oil.
The 3.5L EB in my SHO uses no oil.
The 3.0L in my Fusion consumes a quart every 4000 miles.
The 6.2L in the Raptor uses no oil.

It sucks to have an engine that consumes oil.

gf5300

Reaction score

Can I get some tips on what you did to get a replacement?
My Raptor went in with one quart left of oil after 3k miles. No indications whatsoever in the cockpit and no visible smoke. Zero signs of an oil leak anywhere. It has been in the shop for 6 weeks now and it will probably stay there for another month or so. Dealership is replacing some parts first (as per new Ford service bulletin) before they change the engine.
Originally, the dealer tried to blame the oil change place (truck has 6K miles but I change the oil at the 3K point), but Ford right away took responsibility (truck run for 2500 miles after oil change) which leads me to believe that Ford knows something is up.
I would definitely prefer to get a replacement. My case has been submitted to the buy back/replacement people in Ford but I have not heard anything yet.
Anything I should be doing to improve my chances?
TIA.