Anyone experience engine misfire/oil burning up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like a modem connecting or something. I to would like to know what it all about.

If it is a modem sync sound, did you say yes to allowing it to automatically download software updates? I just picked mine up on Wednesday, so I have not answered the question yet.

diverdoc

Reaction score
Robotor310, do you think I am lying??? WTF.

I have a hunch that one or both of you are Sasquatch....

I have 0 faith in the validity of 1 post count complainers.

How about a video or a pic?

Does your 1k+ post make you more "valid" then me? I went looking for answers to a problem I am having through a google search. I found another person who seems to have at least one of my problems, so I shared my experience for them, and anyone else that might run into this issue. Forums are supposed to be friendly places to share information. If you have nothing to say on this issue, move on.

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 AM ----------

I have spoken with a couple of people that complained about oil burn and rough idol. 2 things here to consider.
1. It is a turbo engine, needs time to warm up from a cold start. Best practice is to start the vehicle and let it get to temp before driving off. It is a pain but will keep the engine and turbos lubricated properly. Will lessen the chance of turbo failure and engine fatigue.
2. Misfire can be corrected with running new plugs. Turbos burn through plugs quick. I suggest going with the cooler running plugs like those in the GT. switched mine out and have not had rough idol since and I have a heavily modified engine.

It is hard to compare a turbo engine to a natural aspirated engine. They require a little more TLC and care when operating. Be prepared to do a little more maintenance than the older Gen1 V8.

7000 miles on mine with lots of engine mods and no issues. However, I do a lot of preventive maintenance on all my cars since they are all turbo. Hope this helps.

One last thing to consider is removing the ship start feature. I don’t know what engineer figured that it would be wise to add this to a performance turbo engine but he needs to have his ass beat for being stupid. That is the worst thing for these engines. Have that programmed out ASAP. That puts unnessacary strain on the cooling and lubricating system. Best to let it idol and circulate fluids.

On the oill burn issue. This truck has been through 4 quarts of oil in 6k miles. IT'S A NEW TRUCK AND I ONLY HAVE 6K ON IT!!! There are no leaks that anyone can see. I also see no smoke from my tail pipe. I wonder if is going into my coolant (head gasket or crack in block). Or did someone not put enough oil in it? I am not in a habit of checking oil levels on such low milage car.

As for the noise I get, I think it valve train. (I was a mechanic for almost 10 years). The dealer thinks it might be a rod going......

Ford doesn't want to do anything yet and wants me to drive it another 500 miles, then bring it in so that they can check the oil level. (yes I will monitor it now daily.)

The big question is what long term damage is done to the engine now?

Last edited:

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I to get a random engine light coming and going. Hard acceleration sets it off then it clears over time. Ford app says misfire. I also experienced a low oil pressure. Had to add oil. Light reset itself. I just took it into the dealer for an oil change today and they said it was down 3 quarts of oil. I have no leaks and see no smoke in tail pipe. I do now have what sound like a lifter noise. The dealer wants me to drive it another 500 miles, then bring it back so they can confirm there is a oil problem. I wonder if it will blow up, or what type of long term damage is going to happen. I only have 6k on it.

I have 12,000 and checked the oil level from the 10k fill I did, down a quart. So a quart every 2,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FordraptorHero

Reaction score
Part of owning a truck with an ecoboost engine in it is adding oil every so often. My dad has an ecoboost it runs through a quart every thousand miles or so.

Because of all the issues I've seen him have with the ecoboost I refuse to buy anything with that pos v6 twin turboed in it. It's left him stranded on the side of the road in middle of nowhere Wyoming, it got roughly 4 miles to the gallon towing a 6000 pound rv, it sounds like shit, it's always in and out of the shop for various reasons, and he doesn't even want to drive it cross country because he fears the damn thing will break down. I don't care what any or you say about how great of an engine it is. It's Main goal was to decrease fuel consumption and it only improved it by a 2-3 mpgs.

tmd11111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does your 1k+ post make you more "valid" then me? I went looking for answers to a problem I am having through a google search. I found another person who seems to have at least one of my problems, so I shared my experience for them, and anyone else that might run into this issue. Forums are supposed to be friendly places to share information. If you have nothing to say on this issue, move on.

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 AM ----------

On the oill burn issue. This truck has been through 4 quarts of oil in 6k miles. IT'S A NEW TRUCK AND I ONLY HAVE 6K ON IT!!! There are no leaks that anyone can see. I also see no smoke from my tail pipe. I wonder if is going into my coolant (head gasket or crack in block). Or did someone not put enough oil in it? I am not in a habit of checking oil levels on such low milage car.

As for the noise I get, I think it valve train. (I was a mechanic for almost 10 years). The dealer thinks it might be a rod going......

Ford doesn't want to do anything yet and wants me to drive it another 500 miles, then bring it in so that they can check the oil level. (yes I will monitor it now daily.)

The big question is what long term damage is done to the engine now?

You were a mechanic for 10 years yet you can’t figure out where 4 quarts of oil went. ****** funny

nh rapta owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Part of owning a truck with an ecoboost engine in it is adding oil every so often. My dad has an ecoboost it runs through a quart every thousand miles or so.

Because of all the issues I've seen him have with the ecoboost I refuse to buy anything with that pos v6 twin turboed in it. It's left him stranded on the side of the road in middle of nowhere Wyoming, it got roughly 4 miles to the gallon towing a 6000 pound rv, it sounds like shit, it's always in and out of the shop for various reasons, and he doesn't even want to drive it cross country because he fears the damn thing will break down. I don't care what any or you say about how great of an engine it is. It's Main goal was to decrease fuel consumption and it only improved it by a 2-3 mpgs.

Get rid of it and buy something else ?? Troubles solved

diverdoc

Reaction score
Are all you guys condescending @#@holes on this web site???

You were a mechanic for 10 years yet you can’t figure out where 4 quarts of oil went. ****** funny

Ok (tmd11111) genius, you figure it out.

White smoke in the tail pipe is typically coolant.
Blue smoke is typically oil.
Black smoke is typically running rich (along with a pungent smell, though they all smell. Running rich will make your eyes water).

This truck has 6k total miles on it, with a clean burining tail pipe, no oil leaks, and I just checked my coolant reservoir and it is a nice pink color. Error codes since I have had it include misfire, cam shaft fauit, and 2 other codes having to do with oil pressure. This is the second time at the dealer, the first time they told me of low oil levels.

Maybe Ford never filled the oil all the way to begin with??? I personally have had many new cars since my mechanic days 25 years ago, and I am not in the habit of checking the oil levels when I take delivery on a brand new car. That's what a PDI inspection does. I started out doing that check list at 16 years old for Elmwood Datsun.

Does anyone here on this forum have any intelligent things to say??? Or do most of you just post to rack up numbers and look cool????

Thanks opt prime and fordraptorhero for actual intelligent comments. Scary these things burn though so much oil. I still can't believe 4 quarts in 6k and it was at the dealer in the middle of it all.

Last edited:

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The folks on this forum are a bit touchy about your type of Ecoboost problem post. There is/was one person who was banned several times as different names and kept making new accounts to get back into the forum. Nothing against you personally, so don't sweat it. The Ecoboost engine isn't the problem, it's the dealer goons and ignorance of forced induction designs. The Ford dealer service departments are approaching the worst ever.