Anybody installed the Whipple tune yet??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chucker

Reaction score
Just looking for some feedback on how the Whipple stage 1 tune is working out for anybody that has installed it yet. I still got a tank full of 87 octane to get rid of first before I will put mine in.

Bevan11

Reaction score
Whipple tune

I received mine on Wednesday and had it installed yesterday. I will say that it is hard to notice that big of difference. I already had the turbo adapters and Rousch intake installed so maybe that is part of it. Throttle response is up there close to the pedal commander which I like! I spin tires at 35 lbs into 2nd gear. I am definitely looking forward to the stage 2 as I feel like it can pull even harder.

Toadster

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I received mine on Wednesday and had it installed yesterday. I will say that it is hard to notice that big of difference. I already had the turbo adapters and Rousch intake installed so maybe that is part of it. Throttle response is up there close to the pedal commander which I like! I spin tires at 35 lbs into 2nd gear. I am definitely looking forward to the stage 2 as I feel like it can pull even harder.

did you do the whole Kit? or just the tune?

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet it’s doing more than you realize.

Sometimes it’s really hard to feel when the power delivery is very smooth.

Bevan11

Reaction score
Whipple tune

I didn't do the cai because I already had the Rousch cai. I was still running Costco gas that I had left. The guy I spoke to at whipple admitted that the wording about not using Costco gas is years old. Costco got top tier rating in 14 if I'm not mistaken. If there additives are same as techron and they use the same amount of detergents the 93 should be as good as shell or chevron right? I will add some shell and see if I can tell a difference.

Transmission was smooth except for 1 shift out of 8th it went to 5th then at last second dropped to 4th. That was a jerky shift but most have been pretty good!

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Just remember that with this kit you are at similar HP/L ratios as a Porsche 991 Turbo S on stock internals. I think Ford makes a great 3.5, it is not however anywhere close to what Porsche has invested in building those engines. The fact that Ford engineers gave these guys a thumbs up for this tune and allowed it to embed so seamlessly into the ECU is accolades to how durable they feel it will be.

From researching part numbers it appears that the 2.7L F150 shares the same intercooler as the Raptor, I am sure this was a point of contention between the Ford Performance folks and the bean counters. IMO, the intercooler was the major limiting component from factory, at safe power levels. After installing the intake and intercooler I noticed a sizable bump over stock, the tune added all that mid-range.

If you don't believe me that this tune has done anything, turn all the assists off, 2H, lightly hold the brake, spool the engine to full power until the tires break loose and then let the beast rip. With this you'll have full boost and all that area under the torque curve available in first gear. Conversely, from a rest and with such gearing I think the truck is well through first gear before the turbos can even fill up that lower part of the curve. By the time it shifts into second the wheels then start to spin but third gear comes quick and the truck settles. IOW, it's smooth like the other guy said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine will do the exact same thing once and awhile. 8 to 5 and then back down to 4. Not a hard shift but it’ll wake you up... must be something inherent to the 10 speed... because I’m running MPT

QUOTE=Bevan11;1228987]I didn't do the cai because I already had the Rousch cai. I was still running Costco gas that I had left. The guy I spoke to at whipple admitted that the wording about not using Costco gas is years old. Costco got top tier rating in 14 if I'm not mistaken. If there additives are same as techron and they use the same amount of detergents the 93 should be as good as shell or chevron right? I will add some shell and see if I can tell a difference.

Transmission was smooth except for 1 shift out of 8th it went to 5th then at last second dropped to 4th. That was a jerky shift but most have been pretty good![/QUOTE]

solarwinds

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Step 20 doesnt look like the manual for sure. i have just 1 tube hose with a 60’ bend in it. it is really hard and tight to put on since not much room and its long

anybody else ?

also you gonna have to remove that plastic gap fill oem piece like somebody else said. thats not in the manual.

Last edited:

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After about 2000 miles on the MPT tune, I can tell you the stock intercooler gets heat soaked pretty easily even when you aren’t pushing it. On a good day, I am seeing about a 30-40F gap between Ambient temp and AIT2. If you push it just a little, 50F gaps become common. This is going to suck when the summer rolls around. Hopefully by then, there will be a few (cost effective) options for upgrades.

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just remember that with this kit you are at similar HP/L ratios as a Porsche 991 Turbo S on stock internals. I think Ford makes a great 3.5, it is not however anywhere close to what Porsche has invested in building those engines. The fact that Ford engineers gave these guys a thumbs up for this tune and allowed it to embed so seamlessly into the ECU is accolades to how durable they feel it will be.

From researching part numbers it appears that the 2.7L F150 shares the same intercooler as the Raptor, I am sure this was a point of contention between the Ford Performance folks and the bean counters. IMO, the intercooler was the major limiting component from factory, at safe power levels. After installing the intake and intercooler I noticed a sizable bump over stock, the tune added all that mid-range.

If you don't believe me that this tune has done anything, turn all the assists off, 2H, lightly hold the brake, spool the engine to full power until the tires break loose and then let the beast rip. With this you'll have full boost and all that area under the torque curve available in first gear. Conversely, from a rest and with such gearing I think the truck is well through first gear before the turbos can even fill up that lower part of the curve. By the time it shifts into second the wheels then start to spin but third gear comes quick and the truck settles. IOW, it's smooth like the other guy said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had my intercooler and cold air installed today and have to wait until next week to get my tune emailed back but first impressions are good. It breaths a lot better and it pulls easier up top, the sound of the exhaust and turbos are more noticeable. I can’t wait for the tune.

Quick question about the tomahawk, I got the serial number out of it vs the one on the device. What is the microprocessor number or where do I find it?

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

Step 20 doesnt look like the manual for sure. i have just 1 tube hose with a 60’ bend in it. it is really hard and tight to put on since not much room and its long

anybody else ?

also you gonna have to remove that plastic gap fill oem piece like somebody else said. thats not in the manual.

I noticed the same thing and figured they decided after writing the instructions to use a 1 piece hose.