Any Help with these codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So 2 weeks ago, when I was bone stock, and driving the 200+ miles to my place in NH the CEL came on. Truck drove fine the rest of the way, and it was not until I returned that I was able to go to a buddy with a scanner (mine was too old) and it came up as a CAM Shaft Position - Timing Over Retarded Bank 2 issue. Then I took it to the dealer, which is very friendly to me, and the Head Tech brought out his Million dollar Ford Scanning stuff/laptop and he not only saw the CAM Sensor issue, but that my Seats both reclined until they sent a short code to the battery (Which I then remembered I did get into the truck over night to find the seats were reclined, but I had too many other things going on to put 2&2 together, and he also asked if I noticed anything about the steering wheel and I said Yes, I could not change the feel to sport, or the modes from regular to sport or weather, etc...and he said Yeah, the BCM lost communication w/the Steering wheel something or other...

Anyway, he kept the truck, reset the codes, flashed the ECU, TCU, BCM, etc. to all the latest firmwares/versions, and when I took it home, and that's when my Tuner showed up...so I installed that, and had to go to Sears and Lowes, and during that time, the CEL came on again, and in Lowe's parking lot I diagnosed it as the CAM Shaft Position - Timing Over Retarded Bank 2 again...cleared it, and have since driven to and from my place in NH as well as around town, done data logs for the tune, etc, etc...and knock on wood no CEL again, but here are the codes I picked up in Lowe's Parking lot...

If anyone has any info on them that would be great as the dealer has not seen anything like this yet.

Attachments

• JMA 17 Raptor CEL x 2.jpg
    JMA 17 Raptor CEL x 2.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 62
  • JMA 17 Raptor CEL P0022 Cam Timing.jpg
    JMA 17 Raptor CEL P0022 Cam Timing.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 60
  • JMA 17 Raptor CEL P0217 Coolant Over Temp.jpg
    JMA 17 Raptor CEL P0217 Coolant Over Temp.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 54
  • JMA 17 Raptor CEL (1).jpg
    JMA 17 Raptor CEL (1).jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 75

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You definitely have a sensor, cam solenoid, or actuator going bad on bank 2. The overtemp was likely on startup because the engine gets much hotter right after you shut it off because the coolant isn’t circulating. Get the cam positioned problem fixed ASAP.

OP
OP
B

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You definitely have a sensor, cam solenoid, or actuator going bad on bank 2. The overtemp was likely on startup because the engine gets much hotter right after you shut it off because the coolant isn’t circulating. Get the cam positioned problem fixed ASAP.

Thank you very much...Ok, so b/c I am no Mechanic...what is the best thing to tell the dealer since there is NO Code on right now...How involved is fixing that, as in how long w/out the truck?

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much...Ok, so b/c I am no Mechanic...what is the best thing to tell the dealer since there is NO Code on right now...How involved is fixing that, as in how long w/out the truck?

The code should be stored in the ECU, so the dealer should see it with their IDS tool. As far as the time required, that varies with the problem found and the dealer service experience. The cam positioner is a big deal problem and requires front of the engine disassembly. Of course, the dealer will send you on your way at least twice before they actually take any steps to repair the problem, so you have plenty of time to plan ahead. Just go ahead and get started at your favorite dealer.

OP
OP
B

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The code should be stored in the ECU, so the dealer should see it with their IDS tool. As far as the time required, that varies with the problem found and the dealer service experience. The cam positioner is a big deal problem and requires front of the engine disassembly. Of course, the dealer will send you on your way at least twice before they actually take any steps to repair the problem, so you have plenty of time to plan ahead. Just go ahead and get started at your favorite dealer.

Dealer just got back to me with this...I'm friends with the Service Manager...so it's not like I needed to be able to deal w/their BS, but more so just wanted to talk intelligently about the issue...or potential issue.

Here's what they just emailed me:

47170 2017- 2018 Multiple Vehicles - Illuminated Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) With Variable Cam Timing (VCT) DTCs - Diagnostic Information
Some vehicles may exhibit an illuminated MIL with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0011, P0012, P0014, P0015, P0016, P0017, P0018, P0019, P0021, P0022, P0024 and/or P0025. This may be due to small debris causing the VCT solenoid to stick. Before attempting any component diagnosis or replacement of the VCT solenoid, refer to Powertrain Control and Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) pinpoint test HK11 to cycle the affected VCT solenoid 10 times to attempt to clear the debris. For claiming, use causal part 6M280 and applicable labor operations in section 10 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 21-MARCH-2018

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your service dept is on it pretty good. Just let them run with it according to their procedures and it will work out eventually. Good luck!

jwelsh

Reaction score
Hi guys. So my truck has been losing power intermittently. It like the computer has put in a 30% limp mode. It has only done it to me a handful of times in the past 2 months and I drive it at least 100 miles a day. Then I have noticed the past month the cold start rattle that everyone has been describing a cam phaser issue. Then last week it through a p0012 Cel. I must add I have a whipple tune in my truck which is how I was able to check the code and clear it.
I think my biggest question is. Should I contact whipple to get them to send me the stock tune and re-flash the truck? Then what do you guys think is my trucks issue? My raptor is a 2017 and it has 75k miles.
I appreciate your guys expertise and future replies.

fordraptorfun

Reaction score
Similar issues....

2019 Raptor, 34k miles, all stock, always 91 octane gas w detergents, Full synthetic oil at 5k intervals.

Intermittent symptoms:
1) rough idle
2) hesitant acceleration
3) abnormal shifting.

No Check Engine Light

OBD outputs:

P0018 - crankshaft-to-camshaft position; Bank 2 Sensor A

P0021 - “A” camshaft position timing, over advanced (Bank 2)

Dealer was able to see the codes in the PCM memory without CEL. They were not able to find root cause. They cleaned camshaft and crank shaft position sensors.

They found the following “bulletin” and executed to it.

SSM 48423 - 2015-2020 Various Vehicles - Illuminated Malfunction Indicator
Lamp (MIL) With Variable Cam Timing (VCT) DTCs - Diagnostic Information Some 2015-2020 Ford and Lincoln vehicles may exhibit an illuminated MIL with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0011, P0012, P0014, P0015, P0016, P0017, P0018, P0019, P0021, P0022, P0024 and/or P0025. This may be due to small debris causing the VCT solenoid to stick. Before attempting any component diagnosis or replacement of the VCT solenoid, refer to Powertrain Control and Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) pinpoint test HK11 to cycle the affected VCT solenoid 10 times to attempt to clear the debris. For claiming, use causal part 6M280 and applicable labor operations in Section 10 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.

Results:

Rough idle has occurred once since then, roughly 100 miles. So issues doesn’t seem to be fixed. Disappointing.

Symptoms are so intermittent. Can’t trace it to temperature or run time. When symptoms are not present, truck drives flawlessly at all throttle inputs.

anyone have any ideas? High probability it’s VCT related.

Last edited: