Antifreeze coolent smell?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPRAGANA3

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've had my truck for a week now and a few times I've smelled a small hint of antifreeze! Anyone else smell this?

I looked around and can't find a leak anywhere. Just wondering if I'm the only one. Thanks

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
any visible weeping anywhere, from any connection points? Hit it with a really bright flashlight or spotlight. Look for it being slung, like by a fan, or hitting something hot enough to eventually evaporate it.

how does the exhaust smell? (it’s a reach going through the cats and all)

if you turn the heat on full tilt, do you smell in the cab?
something definitely odd. antifreeze levels ok?

coder

Reaction score
Take it to the dealer and have them pressure test it, might be a small leak that dries up before you see it. You don't want it to give out on the road.

OP
OP
J

JPRAGANA3

Reaction score
I've looked everywhere the only thing I seen was a stain on the hose that comes out of the bottom of the coolant reservoir. The coolant level is fine. No smell anywhere else, only time I've ever smelled it was a few times getting out of the truck and walking by the front of it. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the help

Last edited:

kstormoen

Reaction score
you could always add some dye to the coolant and drive it for a few days. then inspect the the engine bay with a black light. it should show any leaks. if no leaks are visiable check the oil. i had a 2013 ecoboost with the same issue. coolant was getting into the motor and hydrolocked the motor. good luck man