GEN 2 Addressing shutter/surging and general drivability issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Do you have a Pedal Commander? That would be my first guess....

#pedalcommanderisthenewboogeyman

SPD posted about plugs in another thread, suggesting both a colder plug and gapping them closer - I think they were saying .028 or possibly less and that the plugs typically are gapped further apart which can result in misfires.

Morn

Reaction score
#pedalcommanderisthenewboogeyman

SPD posted about plugs in another thread, suggesting both a colder plug and gapping them closer - I think they were saying .028 or possibly less and that the plugs typically are gapped further apart which can result in misfires.

No pedal commander here. That's interesting about the plugs. I assume when they replaced them, they used another batch of OEMs.

One other note: I typically only use 4A when it's raining or wet out. Sometimes I forget to switch back to 2H when it's dry, and I want to say that the problem seems to be more prevalent when it's raining.

OP
OP
Smokeshow60

Smokeshow60

SgtMajor of the MemeCorps
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No pedal commander here. That's interesting about the plugs. I assume when they replaced them, they used another batch of OEMs.

One other note: I typically only use 4A when it's raining or wet out. Sometimes I forget to switch back to 2H when it's dry, and I want to say that the problem seems to be more prevalent when it's raining.

FWIW. My issues were programming related. All issues have been resolved and still running factory plugs.

Morn

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll be taking it back as mentioned just to get it documented and acknowledged that this isn't normal. I would hope Ford is tracking this type of issue at least internally.

mmacfn

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is a great thread.

I have an 18 and am hitting 1100 miles. I just started to notice similar issues this last week as smoke. Not sure if they have happened before or not? Hard to say.

I thought it could the related to the PC or the chipwerke but i removed em both and continued to notice similar issues.

With my 18 MTP still does not appear to have a tune.

So what should i do? let it ride and see if it goes away? take it to the dealership?

Just not sure.

slashrules

Reaction score
this is a great thread.

I have an 18 and am hitting 1100 miles. I just started to notice similar issues this last week as smoke. Not sure if they have happened before or not? Hard to say.

I thought it could the related to the PC or the chipwerke but i removed em both and continued to notice similar issues.

With my 18 MTP still does not appear to have a tune.

So what should i do? let it ride and see if it goes away? take it to the dealership?

Just not sure.

WHAT? Where was the smoke coming from? Heard of another truck running that combo that roasted a turbo. White smoke started pouring out the passenger exhaust.