7.0?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vince7870

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as I sit here waiting for my 2018 arrive I stumbled upon a few articles about a new engine. I know a lot of folks have been dreaming of a v8. Has anyone come across anything credible?

http://speedtwitch.com/report-2019-f-150-raptor-to-receive-fords-new-7-0l-dohc-v8-motor/

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2017/03/report-ford-super-duty-to-get-new-gas-engine.html

Dachuri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford builds vehicles to generate Profit. New designs are funded by cash flow. With respect to products with high changeover costs (both to consumer and manufacturer) short product life cycles (like 2 years) is very counter productive for both profit and cash flow.

How long did Ford work on the Gen2 before releasing it to the market? ~2 years that we know about, right? Probably 2X behind the scenes?

The COGS of each one of our trucks is burdened with R&D and Corporate overhead to cover the enormous costs of launching a specialty vehicle like the Raptor. Ford has to sell thousands of these trucks before they recover those costs and while they may be out of the hole by now, I bet when I bought my '17 Raptor, Ford's balance sheet still had red brackets around the second generation Raptor.

Regardless of people's guesses as to what Ford's strategy is or isn't with the Ecoboost platform, they certainly haven't generated enough cash flow from the HO 3.5L platform in the Gen2 Raptor to replace it yet.

However, taking back market share in the compact truck segment - Ford Ranger anyone? - and releasing a compelling offering to the enormous and almost uncontested Jeep crowd - 2020 Ford Bronco - is a much more highly probable course for Ford, again assuming profit and cash flow a primary drivers for their decision makers.

xBryanHoodsx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F-250/350 etc make sense they have been using the same engine for years and years. If and it's a huge IF the raptor got a new v8 in its next cycle... which won't be just two years it would be a supercharged 5.0. Would be my guess

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Market pressure

You may see an engine upgrade when dodge releases the Ram rebel TRX.

I say upgrade.... it could be an updated ecoboost that outperforms the hellcat in the rebel.... who knows.

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F-250/350 etc make sense they have been using the same engine for years and years. If and it's a huge IF the raptor got a new v8 in its next cycle... which won't be just two years it would be a supercharged 5.0. Would be my guess

2019 they will release 5.0 as the base motor in the raptor and keep the ecoboost as the higher end option with a bump in horsepower to about 470hp and 550lbs of torque. People will sell their 2017-18 ecoboost versions and buy the less powerful v8 because it's a v8 and it goes vrooom vs ffffart and Ford will once again get 65000 dollars out of the same people.

Dachuri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2019 they will release 5.0 as the base motor in the raptor and keep the ecoboost as the higher end option with a bump in horsepower to about 470hp and 550lbs of torque. People will sell their 2017-18 ecoboost versions and buy the less powerful v8 because it's a v8 and it goes vrooom vs ffffart and Ford will once again get 65000 dollars out of the same people.

Now that's how you turn a profit.

---------- Post added at 07:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 AM ----------

And when equipped with a pano roof, sliding rear window and fake engine noise, this truck can expel any ffffart!

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score

wowwwwww

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Yeah....well...

I heard they were going to do a supercharged 5.2 voodoo pushing 823hp and 785lb-ft of torque. Along with 37's and a 5-link rear.

I heard that from a very reliable source and you should trust me because I'm a ford technician