5 Star Tune Review :thumbsdown:

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Msb.19d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran adaptive cruise all way back to bragg and then to Greensboro to Charlotte, so far no problems, my truck is actually shifting great so far, I have not wanted to remove the 93 performance tune at all. It seems better now, they did tell me they made some changes to their tune because they had several customers that felt that it shifted hard. In a month or so dropping it off their to get it custom tuned on the dyno. I will be sure to get results and post them after. You can only truly get all the power safely out of the truck by having your tuner custom work it on the dyno. If I run into any problems I will report immediately, so far me and another 18 owner have gotten the tune in last few weeks and neither of us having any issues that 17s reported. I’m keeping fingers crossed

Msb.19d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it’s been few weeks now since installed larger IC, downpipes, turbo adapters, CAI, Borla exhaust, and 5 star new tune. So far still nothing bad to report. It will hold a gear alittle long but it’s supposed to in performance tune, as far as shift points they seem perfect, not hard or anything like that. This is in normal mode, in sport mode it does have a lot firmer shift points but so did the stock tune, it feels just like sport always did just with more hp. I’m still planning on getting it on the dyno for a custom tune soon and will get a dyno sheet to post. I’m very curious to see what the tune guy can safely get out of it since it has bout every hp mod I wanted on it currently

Reaction score
Just wanted to share a bit about my experience with the 5 Star tune for the 2017s. I posted this in another thread but figured it would be worth it to start a new one about it. Hopefully I am the only one with this bad experience with these guys.

FWIW, the 5 Star tune for the 2017s is complete crap. I've been through several iterations of trying to dial down the tune and every tune I get from them is the same.

They can't dial in the transmission shifts. It seems to be slipping during mid throttle. It's awful. I've spent countless hours troubleshooting spark plugs, boost leaks, and checking the transmission mount to make sure it's nothing on my end. The stock tune shifts perfectly but when I flash to any 5Star tune the problem comes back.

I even asked for a tune with stock transmission shifting points. I'm pretty sure they didnt adjust anything and sent me a duplicate tune because the shifting is still just as crappy, the truck started throwing the internal control module torque performance code and I'm getting the catalytic converter inefficient flow codes. The sad thing is that I've been through the process of having them turn those codes off. But when this new tune came in the codes came on again.

On top of this they are horrible at communication. It takes days for them to get back to you or get anything done. After this last go around I emailed them to ask about these new codes I'm throwing. Havent heard back in 4 weeks. I'm sick of dealing with it so I'm done trying to work on the tune with them.

MPT looks like they have a great reputation. I wouldn't touch a 5 Star tune again.

Reaction score
I'm having problems with the e85 performance 5 star tune on my 2019 f150 5.0. It's the 4th revision they've made because it has an erratic throttle (surges) and poor shift pattern. Last night I had it drop from 7th gear to 1st gear at approximately 57mph. I let right off and it went from 1st back to 8th. Didn't go to any gears inbetween... It did this before on the first version of the e85 tune they sent me too. I called them today and asked to speak with a manager but instead got Aaron (who seemed very nice) but just wanted to blame it on the adaptive learning process of the tranny. How is 7th to 1st at damn near 60 adaptive learning? I told him I'm afraid to drive it with this tune because I'm the one who has to buy a new transmission when their software leaves my current one in pieces! Just drive it for a while and data log it he says. Again, I'm afraid to if your stupid programming is going to ruin my new $50,000 truck!!!!! No real solution and I'm not a happy camper!

rayofsi

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
funny thing i saw this thread. no experience with their raptor tuning.. but i had a 2011 ford expedition and their tuner/tune.. worked like crap.

this is a excerpt on what i sent them back then, they told me its normal...
went through many revisions also. also got sold a intake lid that didn't fit my truck lol.

at ~1000-1500 at speeds under 30 mph, every now and then it would make a WOT sound. Is this normal?

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I share you sentiments on 5 Star with respect to my 2019. In my particular situation, I will give them credit for trying (I am guessing that I may have gotten 20 revisions from them), but they were never able to deliver anything close to what I got from MPT with only a few revisions. I actually got so frustrated with 5 Star that I just stopped trying and I am eating the cost of the tunes. The first several tunes they sent could barely get the truck moving!!!!

Wfo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Glad I went with Cobb and @wgr73 goose tune!! My truck pulls like an animal with the stage2 tune, will be loading the transmission tune tonight or maybe tomorrow. I’m also on 37s with method beadlocks.

MadMaxx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still have no problems with the canned SCT Tunes. Running both Engine & Trans Tuning from them. They just released a bunch of updates as well.