5 star tune review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I have heard mixed things on this theory. Maybe someone with more experiance on a dyno can enlighten us. I have heard if the truck isn't tight and the wheels slip it can burn them up quicker than you think. I also don't know anyone that has done 300 runs on a brand new truck either. That's a lot of runs to get everything dialed in on the engine and transmission.

I honestly don't know.

Dirt bikes and ADV bikes have the same issue, big cleats don’t fare too well strapped to the dyno either. It won’t destroy them in one run, but this is not unheard of.

Wizo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread was enough for me to pull the trigger and get one. I was looking for the best blend between power and transmission optimization. Looking forward to some additional power

R

Rick@FreedomMotorsports

This thread was enough for me to pull the trigger and get one. I was looking for the best blend between power and transmission optimization. Looking forward to some additional power

We have our sale going on right now. Injen is a good CAI to combine with it too.

Wizo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have our sale going on right now. Injen is a good CAI to combine with it too.

Thank you guys! I have already put in an order for the afe stage 2 edition (back ordered) till next month that I plan on adding to it. I will; however, hit you up for some of the other planned parts I have in store for my truck.

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did downpipes, 5 star, and BBK from Freedom, they have great prices and customer service. Will likely get an IC and BOV from them as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmgt3

Reaction score
I did downpipes, 5 star, and BBK from Freedom, they have great prices and customer service. Will likely get an IC and BOV from them as well.

Installed the 93 performance tune a couple days ago. Some thoughts.
The tuck has really come alive. It's a beast. More so than it was before. The turbo lag is almost​ non existent.
The only small issue I've noticed is that the shifts are a little jerky. Not as smooth as before. I'm wondering if that's because the transmission is still learning.
Anyone else experience that?? Does it improves with miles??
Overall. Love it and highly recommend it. [emoji106]

Sent from my G8142 using Tapatalk

xrocket21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The tuck has really come alive. It's a beast. More so than it was before. The turbo lag is almost​ non existent.
The only small issue I've noticed is that the shifts are a little jerky. Not as smooth as before. I'm wondering if that's because the transmission is still learning.

What are you expecting with over 600 ft/lbs?

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score

With the performance tune it will be jerky because they want the transmission to shift hard. I don't think the tune is really meant to daily. I'm going to try it though and see.

Wizo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, can't you just switch back and fro with the tunes? I was going to mount the ngauge and use the performance tune only when I want the extra power. Can always just select other tunes right?

hmgt3

Reaction score
With the performance tune it will be jerky because they want the transmission to shift hard. I don't think the tune is really meant to daily. I'm going to try it though and see.

Yeah. I went from stock to performance. Maybe should have tried the daily 93 first. Interested to see the difference. Will def see if daily is the best compromise.

---------- Post added at 01:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 AM ----------

Ok, can't you just switch back and fro with the tunes? I was going to mount the ngauge and use the performance tune only when I want the extra power. Can always just select other tunes right?
True but it's not an instantaneous change between tunes like flipping a switch.
The beauty of 5Star is that they will adjust certain parameters to suit you so I might as them to dial the shifts back a little bit if they continue to be this jerky and the daily 93 just doesn't cut it.