5 Star tune & custom tune on dyno

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shunderwunder

Reaction score
Got the Raptor tuned by a local shop today (Injected Engineering in Kennesaw GA). I previously had the 5 Star tune on the truck and overall was happy with the tune but felt it was still a bit lacking. As you can see, the 5 Star tune does make good power over stock and is a good value since they give you multiple tunes. Most people will pick one and leave it but you've got options. This new tune feels smoother to me and makes about 30 hp over the 5 Star tune. It is noticeable but it's not mind blowing however the driveability is better for me. As for the transmission, their tune makes the shifting much smoother but doesn't change the shift schedule much. I asked them to add their tune to the trans tune from the 5 Star 87 performance/off-road tune I had for an extra option. I love this setup the best. Not a big fan of the trans tuning 5Star used on the 93 performance tune but the 87 off-road is perfect for me. As for the graphs, one is the 5 Star tune & the new tune overlays & the other is the new tune and a stock Raptor on the same dyno. Stock graph is not actually my truck. They were only doing a half day and I didn't feel it was all that important that they put stock tune on my truck to exact numbers. Just wanted to see an idea of the changes. Mods on my truck are Roush Intake, SPD turbo adapters, ADD intercooler, & Gibson MWA muffler. Pretty sure those mods helped a bit since I put down 30hp over their tune on a stock Raptor.

Attachments

• IMG_3342.jpg
    IMG_3342.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_3329.jpg
    IMG_3329.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_3339.jpg
    IMG_3339.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 158

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you post all your graphs?

You mention more than one. Great info and most appreciated

Guy

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice, a custom tune will always make more power than a can tune. Those are good numbers for the low amount of mods.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice, a custom tune will always make more power than a can tune. Those are good numbers for the low amount of mods.

Well of course it will. 5 star has to make sure they aren't grenading trucks and have to account for a variety of climates and have to engineer in a little bit of "operator stupidity" factor.

Jayrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well of course it will. 5 star has to make sure they aren't grenading trucks and have to account for a variety of climates and have to engineer in a little bit of "operator stupidity" factor.

That was my point in the statement I made. 5 Star naturally has to play it safe while a customer home town tuner can take it a bit further.

Bombsquad68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the post.

Looks like the custom tune really helped above 5500 rpm. Can you feel it pull stronger to redline?

That's also good info on the transmission tune. What makes the offroad one better than the 93 transmission tune?

Looks like a big improvement, and I can't wait for bigger turbos. Right now it drives like a diesel where all the magic happens in the midrange and it falls on it's face at high RPM. It completely defeats the fun of these fancy magnesium paddle shifters, holding gears and shifting before you hit the fuel/ignition cutoff... A couple 25% bigger turbos and holding the boost to redline will make it a riot.

OP
OP
S

shunderwunder

Reaction score
Not sure why the trans programs are different on their tunes but the off-road tune is much smoother shifting. The 93 performance tune has a rougher shift feel and seems to sometimes not know what gear it wants.

I've only done a couple full pulls so far but it is more linear to redline