2018 motor noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jlszz

Reaction score
My motor is making a knocking noise only when warm. I have been searching for answers that the dealer can’t give me. Has anyone determined what this noise is exactly? I see videos with the same noise but no answers. Thanks

https://youtu.be/NgmaUhEtU6k

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
If that knock is rhythmic, rises and falls with RPMs, your dealer should be talking with Ford about next steps. It’s definitely not right.

FORZDA 1

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard that noise before on high mileage engines before with no running problems, but not on a new vehicle. It is usually an ancillary knocking sound like a balance shaft, oil pump drive, Fuel pump drive, or similar. Does the noise go away with a very slight increase in revs?

OP
OP
J

Jlszz

Reaction score
It does rise and fall

---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 AM ----------

It stays all the time especially when warm and idling

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is exactly how my 5.4 sounded when the oiling system failed. The noise was a cam phaser with insufficient oil. The engine was completely replaced based on cam and lower bearing damage.

Oddly, no check engine light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's the timing chain tensioner failing. or the variable cam actuator. Either way its catastrophic.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's the timing chain tensioner failing. or the variable cam actuator. Either way its catastrophic.

Yes. Defective seal on my cam chain tensioner that allowed the chain to smack the cover, the VCTs to chatter and smoked all the bearings on the left head and mains. Good times. Thank God I bought certified pre-owned.

Drive it till it windows the block. Less chance of rebuild that way.

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Yes. Defective seal on my cam chain tensioner that allowed the chain to smack the cover, the VCTs to chatter and smoked all the bearings on the left head and mains. Good times. Thank God I bought certified pre-owned.

Drive it till it windows the block. Less chance of rebuild that way.

Yep I would drive it hard until it pops. You don't want them repairing that motor.

GLFSHNT

Reaction score
Cam Phasers....

So my 2017 just had the check engine light come on and it started running rough - Almost like a dropped cylinder but not as bad. Dealer says looks like a cam phaser or sensor issue. (I am assuming they have only looked at the error code, as they have not put a wrench to it yet.

Upon reading about this, My truck has been making the tell-tale cold start rattle for a while (3 months...) sometimes real load....

I'll post back what they say after they get into it.
Anyone have any experience here? I want to avoid putting a bandaid on time-bomb.....

Gargamel

Banned
Reaction score
Hopefully you don't need a new engine. I read on the "2" forum that Ford discontinued the 3.5 ecoboost crate engine already and left one owner high and dry who needed one.