2018 300 Miles and 1st Mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gen2

Reaction score
Picked up my 2018 raptor last Friday and put a few miles on it over the weekend. Woke up this morning and the urge hit me to modify. Drove over to 5 Star Tuning and picked up a CAI, Ngauge, and oil catch can setup. Riding on the 87 street tune right now but cant wait to try the 93 race tune out. Need to flush all the 87 octane the dealer put in the tank out. I spoke with Aron, Chris, and Josh today. Really nice guys and would highly recommend doing business here. Very helpful and answered all my questions. Will be seeing them in a few weeks for the down pipe, turbo adaptors, and intercooler. And it all begins...lol

Smokeshow60

SgtMajor of the MemeCorps
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Picked up my 2018 raptor last Friday and put a few miles on it over the weekend. Woke up this morning and the urge hit me to modify. Drove over to 5 Star Tuning and picked up a CAI, Ngauge, and oil catch can setup. Riding on the 87 street tune right now but cant wait to try the 93 race tune out. Need to flush all the 87 octane the dealer put in the tank out. I spoke with Aron, Chris, and Josh today. Really nice guys and would highly recommend doing business here. Very helpful and answered all my questions. Will be seeing them in a few weeks for the down pipe, turbo adaptors, and intercooler. And it all begins...lol

Solid start for sure. Welcome

Rockafella

Reaction score
Please keep us updated... I'm not terribly far from 5star myself and just picked up a 2018 a week ago. Did you get everything installed there or just picked up the mods while there to install later? Dyno tune or?? In search of details please. I'm a LSx drag racer type of guy and my local gm performance shops are top notch and the local ford tuners for mustangs and lightnings are as well (fastlane performance, etc...).

Please let us know more about your visit to 5 star if possible. Thanks!

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, the 5 Star tune for the 2017s is complete crap. I've been through several iterations of trying to dial down the tune and every tune I get from them is the same.

They can't dial in the transmission shifts. It seems to be slipping during mid throttle. It's awful. I've spent countless hours troubleshooting spark plugs, boost leaks, and checking the transmission mount to make sure it's nothing on my end. The stock tune shifts perfectly but when I flash to any 5Star tune the problem comes back.

I even asked for a tune with stock transmission shifting points. I'm pretty sure they didnt adjust anything and sent me a duplicate tune because the shifting is still just as crappy, the truck started throwing the internal control module torque performance code and I'm getting the catalytic converter inefficient flow codes. The sad thing is that I've been through the process of having them turn those codes off. But when this new tune came in the codes came on again.

On top of this they are horrible at communication. It takes days for them to get back to you or get anything done. After this last go around I emailed them to ask about these new codes I'm throwing. Havent heard back in 4 weeks. I'm sick of dealing with it so I'm done trying to work on the tune with them.

MPT looks like they have a great reputation. I wouldn't touch a 5 Star tune again.

OP
OP
G

Gen2

Reaction score
So far so good. Only have 200 miles on truck since their tune was installed. It's not a dyno tune. On the 87 octane tune, still working on flushing the gas the dealer put in the tank out. Truck shifts fine to me so far. Big improvement over stock. They installed everything while I was there. I went there to buy the parts and next thing i knew my truck was in their bay getting the tunes installed. No complaints so far.

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 PM ----------

FWIW, the 5 Star tune for the 2017s is complete crap. I've been through several iterations of trying to dial down the tune and every tune I get from them is the same.

They can't dial in the transmission shifts. It seems to be slipping during mid throttle. It's awful. I've spent countless hours troubleshooting spark plugs, boost leaks, and checking the transmission mount to make sure it's nothing on my end. The stock tune shifts perfectly but when I flash to any 5Star tune the problem comes back.

I even asked for a tune with stock transmission shifting points. I'm pretty sure they didnt adjust anything and sent me a duplicate tune because the shifting is still just as crappy, the truck started throwing the internal control module torque performance code and I'm getting the catalytic converter inefficient flow codes. The sad thing is that I've been through the process of having them turn those codes off. But when this new tune came in the codes came on again.

On top of this they are horrible at communication. It takes days for them to get back to you or get anything done. After this last go around I emailed them to ask about these new codes I'm throwing. Havent heard back in 4 weeks. I'm sick of dealing with it so I'm done trying to work on the tune with them.

MPT looks like they have a great reputation. I wouldn't touch a 5 Star tune again.

Sorry to hear about the problems you are having. You can't please everyone. I'm pretty sure they have more positive feed back than negative. Hope you get things worked out.

KryptosXLayer2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wait, is no one going to say anything about the 87 octane usage? Manual clearly states 91 or better, but we're going to just gloss over the fact that someone is TUNING their Raptor on 87 octane???

Motor isn't even properly broken in yet and they're running subpar fuel through it.... How is this okay?

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course you can't "please" everyone. There's a difference between pleasing a customer vs having a defective product and terrible customer service. There was not the slightest indication that they gave a **** that their tune made my truck run like shit.

And I'm putting this feedback out there because your perception of their feedback is lopsided.

Sorry to hear about the problems you are having. You can't please everyone. I'm pretty sure they have more positive feed back than negative. Hope you get things worked out.