2017 Raptor Boost (PSI) and boost gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We got our October/November Ford Frontline catalogue yesterday. It's got the Raptor on the cover and a few pages of info about the truck. Under the engine it says "Parallel twin-turbochargers are water -cooled to prevent "coking" and operate at a maximum of 13.2 psi of boost".

Yup... they've been oil cooled and water cooled since the Gen1 Ecoboost in 2011.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yup... they've been oil cooled and water cooled since the Gen1 Ecoboost in 2011.

Yes they have been.

Back in 2010 before those trucks came out Ford had a HUGE training event that they put on at different locations in the US. They had dealers and customers come to the event. They had cut aways of the engines and explained the ideas of why they did certain things the way they did. They went in to quite an explanation of why they did both oil and water cooling of the turbos.

One thing I found very interesting at that training was that we were told the 3.5 eco that was already out in the Taurus didn't share any components at all with the 3.5 truck motor.

combatninja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am reading 18psi from multiple sources, which makes sense given the choice of turbo. Normal F-150 ecoboost boosts higher than 13.2 from the factory.

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With my boostmax installed and it all warmed up the turbo gauge will jump past the line. I'm guessing it's pushing past 20lbs of boost.

Not sure how much

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With my boostmax installed and it all warmed up the turbo gauge will jump past the line. I'm guessing it's pushing past 20lbs of boost.

Not sure how much

20lbs+ is all that matters!! Love mine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

MJslasherADMIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the most part I'd say it's pretty rare for cars to have a boost gauge oem. It happens here and there, but most I've been in don't have any sort of numbered informational boost reference. I think at this point in the game the boost systems have all been tested to make sure the piping will stay together and whatnot, if they fail you'll get a CEL and go from there.

This is probably one of the worst comments I have read in a while. I read this months ago when first posted and I think about it now and then. Im the OP and when I noticed my old thread at the top tonight I figured I would chime in.

Most cars or trucks that have FI for performance have a boost gauge. Its critical to understand your psi in a performance application.

I do agree that FI for economic reasons tend to not have a gauge because it doesnt matter. Think turbo charged Kia Optima.

20psirabbit

Reaction score
This is probably one of the worst comments I have read in a while. I read this months ago when first posted and I think about it now and then. Im the OP and when I noticed my old thread at the top tonight I figured I would chime in.

Most cars or trucks that have FI for performance have a boost gauge. Its critical to understand your psi in a performance application.

I do agree that FI for economic reasons tend to not have a gauge because it doesnt matter. Think turbo charged Kia Optima.

If only your opinion meant anything. I've owned and built plenty of boosted cars, so I couldn't give a sh*t less what you think of the validity of my comment. Happy trails fella