The 2017 Eco-Boost vs V8 Bench Racing / Whining thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

factive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you serious? The EPA has everything to do with this. Ford is trying to show that their new Ecoboost is capable of providing the power and performance necessary for demanding vehicles. Within the next ten years, Ford will probably push all of the F150s over to EB. If they have a V8 in the Raptor, they're just admitting that the Ecoboost isn't everything it's cracked up to be, and so they'll lose a lot of market share if people think Ford is giving non-performance vehicles an inferior product. But if Ford can demonstrate that their performance vehicles crush the competition both in racing and offroading (and, oh yeah, with an Ecoboost), then it'll be easier to transition people over to all EBV6's come 2020 or 2025 or whatever.

Sure thing, I guess they're admitting the Ecoboost is a pos because GT350 and GT350R. And so many people in the past didn't buy Ford V6's because the Raptor had a V8. You're clueless. The Raptor is supposed to be an exclusive, performance truck, not a demo truck to prove the Ecoboost is cool.

Raw Horsepower

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's still marketing, if they can build a Raptor with an ecoboost that proves performance and is trusted on a special vehicle it will help all sales of ecoboost. They have to look at overall business plan.
The new ecoboost is a whole new engine, they said new, block, heads, pistons,injection etc. That's why the new GT has over 600 hp, just have to see if they corrected the faults of the first version

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Because other manufacturers are not thinking ahead. Also remember Ford sells more trucks than any other manufacturer (Chevy, Dodge, Toyota, ect.) so they are trying to stay ahead of the curve.

If they are being forced to retire the V8 then how come no other manufacturer is doing so with their trucks?

OP
OP
B

BlackReef

Reaction score
How difficult would it be to swap a 6.2 Crate motor into the '17 Raptor?

Would it be a major project? pretty straightforward? I've swapped several 4v motors in Mustangs, but nothing this new.

If Ford doesnt offer a V8, I'll just buy a low mile 6.2L motor and replaced the V6 TT with it, then add a large single turbo system.

I just dont want to have engine lights, sensor problems etc. I wonder how straightforward it would be.

Hell, it might be much easier to swap a new 5.0 motor out of a new F150 into the new Raptor

Thoughts?

Hazzard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5.0 would be a ton easier esp since it will still be in the lineup for that year. I would look at a 5.4 ford racing crate motor like JDM just put in the red headed step child build they have on here. I think they said it was a forged block good for 1000+ hp.

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I imagine it would be very complicated since everything is completely different. You would also have to take in the size of the new engine compartment, and the added weight of the 6.2