The 2017 Eco-Boost vs V8 Bench Racing / Whining thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackReef

Reaction score
I would be absolutely excited for this truck if it had a V8 option. The V6 EcoBoost just kills me. I have the same EB in my wife's '13 Explorer Sport, its just not an engine I would want in a full size truck.

Please, Ford, please.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No. Why? EPA. What does the EPA have to do with this? Well, all vehicles that a company makes (known as their fleet) have to have an ave. fuel economy rating. So Ford (and everyone else) is pressed to have fuel efficient vehicles across the board in order to meet these EPA regulations. Now ford COULD put a v8 in the Raptor but that would severely make their fleet mpg ave. go down. That is the wrong direction, they need it to go up. By 2025 all vehicles in the fleet need to be at an ave. of 54.4 mpg. They cant have a huge gas guzzling v8 pulling that average down.

If the EPA didnt exist there would be a monster v8 in the Raptor I guarantee it. But since the EPA exists Ford HAS to make the Raptor a little more fuel efficient no matter what. Ford knows we all want a big nasty v8 to fit the Raptors personality, they know a v6 isnt the best fit. But for right now its what they HAVE to do, not what they WANT to do.

Also this Ecoboost in the Raptor is all new, its not the old one, so itll have gobs of power off the shelf and locked away for tuners and modders.

factive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The EPA has nothing to do with the gen2 Raptor not having a V8. Other manufacturers (and other models in the Ford lineup) still offer a v8. Stop spewing this nonsense until you learn the facts. The amount of Raptors Ford makes does not affect their avg.

Yes, I believe they will offer a V8. Possibly a 'r' version of the Raptor. That would be sweet. If they don't, I will either be doing an engine swap or building out a Tundra or maybe Chevy. I wont own a Raptor with a V6 regardless of the numbers it puts out.

mwakgp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or they're just smarter and less prejudiced than most of the people on here and realize it's a better engine for the job. More power, better torque curve, better mileage ... I'm stoked for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aireyc

Reaction score
The EPA has nothing to do with the gen2 Raptor not having a V8. Other manufacturers (and other models in the Ford lineup) still offer a v8. Stop spewing this nonsense until you learn the facts. The amount of Raptors Ford makes does not affect their avg.

Yes, I believe they will offer a V8. Possibly a 'r' version of the Raptor. That would be sweet. If they don't, I will either be doing an engine swap or building out a Tundra or maybe Chevy. I wont own a Raptor with a V6 regardless of the numbers it puts out.

Are you serious? The EPA has everything to do with this. Ford is trying to show that their new Ecoboost is capable of providing the power and performance necessary for demanding vehicles. Within the next ten years, Ford will probably push all of the F150s over to EB. If they have a V8 in the Raptor, they're just admitting that the Ecoboost isn't everything it's cracked up to be, and so they'll lose a lot of market share if people think Ford is giving non-performance vehicles an inferior product. But if Ford can demonstrate that their performance vehicles crush the competition both in racing and offroading (and, oh yeah, with an Ecoboost), then it'll be easier to transition people over to all EBV6's come 2020 or 2025 or whatever.

Last edited:

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. The Ecoboost is the future and Ford knows this is a good way (along with the GT) to further promote the ecoboost platform. Plus it will give Ford real world feedback by putting it in a truck that is demanding of the engine in ways the regular F150 is not.

RAPTORSV

FRF Addict
Reaction score
These ridiculous EPA regulation can be over turned if we ever have and administration in DC with any balls. The EPA, could and should be defended. They make up these regulation out of their ass. And the idiot in the White House signs them into law through executive order. Any executive order can be undone by the next president, since they are "not law".