1st Hiccup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bailer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, hope I don't have to visit the dealer!

Truck is '17 loaded screw raptor with 6000k (4000mi), all fluids good. Oil life is at 50%. Just lazy city driving with a bit of pedal once in a while but pretty much old man driving.

Stepped on it a couple minutes after leaving my house today....

"Wrench" icon showed on centre of dash with a "see manual", and "press Ok"
I pressed OK and small wrench then shows on the dash and the "engine" icon is in the bottom left of dash as well.
At no time was it a flashing wrench or flashing engine icon.
The engine performance was and is not any noticeable difference.

I have since cycled the engine off and on a couple times, wrench icon is gone, engine light is still there.

So...do I need to get a code reader?? Visit the dealer?? Ignore and light will go away after certain # of cycles??

My apologies if I should already know this.
Can't find anywhere the truck display will give me more info???

SVTLOPEZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, hope I don't have to visit the dealer!

Truck is '17 loaded screw raptor with 6000k (4000mi), all fluids good. Oil life is at 50%. Just lazy city driving with a bit of pedal once in a while but pretty much old man driving.

Stepped on it a couple minutes after leaving my house today....

"Wrench" icon showed on centre of dash with a "see manual", and "press Ok"
I pressed OK and small wrench then shows on the dash and the "engine" icon is in the bottom left of dash as well.
At no time was it a flashing wrench or flashing engine icon.
The engine performance was and is not any noticeable difference.

I have since cycled the engine off and on a couple times, wrench icon is gone, engine light is still there.

So...do I need to get a code reader?? Visit the dealer?? Ignore and light will go away after certain # of cycles??

My apologies if I should already know this.
Can't find anywhere the truck display will give me more info???

if its brand new then it should be under warranty. Take it to the dealer and have them worry about it.

OP
OP
bailer

bailer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update

As suspected, a couple more key cycles while shopping and now the "engine" light is gone as well as the "wrench". No warnings showing....I wonder if the truck still stores it in memory that something happened??

I would like to have a code reader, since it is apparently not available from the truck display?? Is it a Ford part# I can get, or a universal jobber style OBD reader???

Thanks.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm guessin' the code isn't stored because the wrench light and engine light aren't lit up anymore. But if it happens again Auto Zone reads codes for free.

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The codes will be stored. Swing by autozone and pick up a reader or have them tell you what's going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Vehicles throw codes because something isn't right or wasn't right at a particular point in time.
Your truck is under warranty, it was not cheap.
Sure, I'd read the code myself and google...then I call the dealer to bring it in and tell them what to look at.

How people find comfort in an warning light on the dash 'going away' is amusing.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Error codes are stored, three of the same error code (not critical) will make a permanent stored code and the engine light will not go off.

Error codes (DTC) can be cleared using a OBDII reader but a permanent code can only be erased by Flashing the PCM.

This is one of the reasons the PCM has a flash counter, so the dealer can tell if you where not taking care of your vehicle and void the warranty.
Now I don't believe I ever heard anyone saying their dealer denied a claim because you've flashed the PCM

Last edited:

SZDZMTR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Take it to the dealer, not like you gonna fix it anyway yourself its a brand new truck under factory warranty....and unfortunately Ford dealers are getting conditioned nowadays to getting GEN2s lately for all kinds of stuff...