Word of caution for out of state buyers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For those that don't know I work for a Ford dealership.

Some of the members and I have been having a discussions regarding CA emissions and "Green" state emissions. Green states are states that require CA emissions on their vehicles. The Green state dealers (like us in PA) order an option called "CA emission for non CA registration".

If you live in CA or a Green state your truck must have either "CA emissions" or "CA emissions for non CA registration". If not your state WILL NOT register and title that vehicle.

One member here was a couple days away form going 1,000 miles to pick his truck up only to discover it didn't have the proper emission for NY which is a Green state .

There is currently a lot of confusion with this matter. Apparently the new 3.5 eco's both Raptor and regular show on the under hood sticker that they are CA emission compliant but DO NOT have it on the CO (Certificate of Origin) where it has to be for titling and registration.

Do yourself a huge favor. If you are buying out of state make sure you know what your emissions requirements are and that your truck complies.

dtt255

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if worst comes to worst, in CA, you can just drive the truck for 7501 miles (considered new till 7500 miles) and then register it as used. There are more hoops to jump through, but it's possible.

OP
OP

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well if worst comes to worst, in CA, you can just drive the truck for 7501 miles (considered new till 7500 miles) and then register it as used. There are more hoops to jump through, but it's possible.

Unless that has changed in the last few years that is not the case. That only applied to a vehicle that was previously titled in another state.

Aesconde

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This is not correct. The has to be titled in another state for the 7500 mile exemption to be applicable. You can't just bring a new car into the state, without CA certification, drive it for 7500 miles and expect to register it as new.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?...ntent_en/dmv/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noblesramair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really an issue for me but wouldn't someone doing this just buy the vehicle and register it in the non CA emission state (assuming they had an address in that state to use that is) then the next year after the registration expired reregister it in the CA emission state assuming it had 7500 miles on it by that time.

sjsan12

Reaction score
All of this hassle and there is absolutely no difference in ANY physical functions of the trucks, correct? Thank sweet baby Jesus I live in a state without all this BS.

Doc Constantine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really an issue for me but wouldn't someone doing this just buy the vehicle and register it in the non CA emission state (assuming they had an address in that state to use that is) then the next year after the registration expired reregister it in the CA emission state assuming it had 7500 miles on it by that time.

This is about the only way it could work. I've bought out of state, made sure it had the CA emissions sticker underhood. My C/O said "THIS VEHICLE HAS A 50-STATE EMISSION SYSTEM" - but it was GM, guess Ford had to be different.

baja714

Reaction score
yes sir, truck needs to be ordered with option 422 if you are taking it back to Cali

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk