Will Gen2 tires be Load D?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

larryo108

Reaction score
I will be working on installing 2013 Raptor wheels on my 2013 XLT. I have the wheels, but the install is down the line some. I just saw that the Gen 2 Raptor will still be sporting 315/70/17 tires, but is there any indication what the load rating will be? I am hoping for D rather than E. I don't want to run E on my truck again.

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They've shown the truck with two different tires, both E rated.

Sorry.

OP
OP
L

larryo108

Reaction score
Bummer. I love my KO2's, but not willing to go E-rated again. Thanks for the quick reply.

Tom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a noticeable difference between 8 ply and 10 ply tires? Why don't you like the E? I'm looking to buy some KO2's soon. Thanks

OP
OP
L

larryo108

Reaction score
Well, I am currently running 285/65/18 on my stock XLT wheels. They are E-rated KO2s. The ride is harsh and stiff. Over the weekend I did a test fit with 17" Raptor wheels running the 315/70/17 D-rated KOs and the ride was much more compliant. Not like a tank with the E-rated.

Now, the additional sidewall probably helped as well, but the truck also felt faster with the bigger tires. I am pretty much set on going D-rated with my next set of tires as I like the feel of the truck better with them. That's just my opinion though and you know what they say about that.

I love the look and traction of the KO2s. They are great tires. Just not willing to suffer the E-rated ride again. Unfortunately, KO2s are all E-rated and I was hoping that the Raptor tires would again be D-rated.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well, I am currently running 285/65/18 on my stock XLT wheels. They are E-rated KO2s. The ride is harsh and stiff. Over the weekend I did a test fit with 17" Raptor wheels running the 315/70/17 D-rated KOs and the ride was much more compliant. Not like a tank with the E-rated.

Now, the additional sidewall probably helped as well, but the truck also felt faster with the bigger tires. I am pretty much set on going D-rated with my next set of tires as I like the feel of the truck better with them. That's just my opinion though and you know what they say about that.

I love the look and traction of the KO2s. They are great tires. Just not willing to suffer the E-rated ride again. Unfortunately, KO2s are all E-rated and I was hoping that the Raptor tires would again be D-rated.

Do you off road much? If so, you may want that added sidewall protection. Another note - I run about 40 psi in my tires. Makes for a much better ride. I guess it would depend on hw much hauling you do, but 40 psi is the sweet spot for a smooth ride with KO2's. Just my $.02......

OP
OP
L

larryo108

Reaction score
Do you off road much? If so, you may want that added sidewall protection. Another note - I run about 40 psi in my tires. Makes for a much better ride. I guess it would depend on hw much hauling you do, but 40 psi is the sweet spot for a smooth ride with KO2's. Just my $.02......

I don't offroad much, but would like to do more trail riding. I will play with air pressures and see if I can gain a better ride for the time being.

matt33

Full Access Member
Reaction score

+1 to all of this.

That said, I can't remember for sure, but I thought my 2012 OEM BFG tires were "D" rated. I dropped my PSI down to 36-38 and they road noticeably better than the 44 PSI they came with at delivery.

OP
OP
L

larryo108

Reaction score
+1 to all of this.

That said, I can't remember for sure, but I thought my 2012 OEM BFG tires were "D" rated. I dropped my PSI down to 36-38 and they road noticeably better than the 44 PSI they came with at delivery.

That is correct, the KO tires that the Gen1 Raptors came with are Load D.