Will Ford drop the v8 in the Gen 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
They're saving the mysterious 7.0 for the new Raptor Ranger. It's also gonna be linked, center mounted control arms. Travel is said to be somewhere around 2-3 feet.

In all seriousness they should offer slightly less expensive Raptor with the 5.0. It would save a lot of complaining and arguments on here. But what's the fun in that?

I know you're joking, but an "enthusiast" trim level that's bare bones with the 5.0 would probably sell.

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I know you're joking, but an "enthusiast" trim level that's bare bones with the 5.0 would probably sell.

Joking about the Ranger. But i agree an enthusiast package would be awesome. Even though some people actually do go out and beat on their loaded 802A trucks it would be much easier for me justify it in a stripped down "799A" package with an NA motor. I feel like with the popularity it would be a good time for Ford to build it. When the Mitsu EVO was super popular they came out with that "RS" model for the die hard track guys. No radio, roll up windows and AC was the only option but not standard.

smoothie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford also has to worry about CAFE standards and their overall fleet has to meet certain mpg standards. Being the G150 is their #1 selling vehicle (I believe) if they take a step back in mpg it could hurt their standing. Maybe not with thw Raptor being more of a limited production vehicle, but something to consider.

whan

Reaction score
Joking about the Ranger. But i agree an enthusiast package would be awesome. Even though some people actually do go out and beat on their loaded 802A trucks it would be much easier for me justify it in a stripped down "799A" package with an NA motor. I feel like with the popularity it would be a good time for Ford to build it. When the Mitsu EVO was super popular they came out with that "RS" model for the die hard track guys. No radio, roll up windows and AC was the only option but not standard.

I'd be game - $45k supercab raptor with 5.0 would put it into a great price point as a dedicated off-road truck.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
I'd be game - $45k supercab raptor with 5.0 would put it into a great price point as a dedicated off-road truck.

Exactly something down in the 40-45k range. Maybe even with 2.5" shocks like the Gen1.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Ford also has to worry about CAFE standards and their overall fleet has to meet certain mpg standards. Being the G150 is their #1 selling vehicle (I believe) if they take a step back in mpg it could hurt their standing. Maybe not with thw Raptor being more of a limited production vehicle, but something to consider.

I don’t think the 5.0 would do significantly worse mpg than 3.5TT, using the same 10 speed trans. There are a few things to think about though.

The 3.5 with double hair dryer config produces a lot more torque than the 5.0, and the peak power is better too. In N/A config, the 302 cubes is not going to touch 500 foot pounds of torque at the crank.

Sure, we could supercharge it or get a “tuner edition” but you’re right back to poor mpg.

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
I don’t think the 5.0 would do significantly worse mpg than 3.5TT, using the same 10 speed trans. There are a few things to think about though.

The 3.5 with double hair dryer config produces a lot more torque than the 5.0, and the peak power is better too. In N/A config, the 302 cubes is not going to touch 500 foot pounds of torque at the crank.

Sure, we could supercharge it or get a “tuner edition” but you’re right back to poor mpg.

The NA 5.0 would be a step back in power vs the 3.5TT, but that'd be kind of the point of a bare bones "enthusiast" type truck. Cheaper for the guys that want to build up a truck, as well as for the guys who don't need quite as much out of the box capability but still want a "Raptor".