Wifi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frypie

Reaction score
I am supposed to be getting my truck in Feb. Do these trucks have the wifi hot spot?

Mark986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get wifi in the truck. So you can connect to a hotspot if that's what you mean?

Ballistic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what i understand the "wifi" option on the trucks now is to connect it to your home wifi for software updates.

Why would you want a hotspot in your truck that would cost more, basically it would be another SIM card and at least another 10/month to your phone bill, when you can use your phones built in hotspot.

UPRAPTOR

Reaction score
hotspot

I believe it does, I have a modem in my truck that works with ATT iT has an ESN # hooking it up for $10 on my plan.

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what i understand the "wifi" option on the trucks now is to connect it to your home wifi for software updates.

Why would you want a hotspot in your truck that would cost more, basically it would be another SIM card and at least another 10/month to your phone bill, when you can use your phones built in hotspot.

If you don't need it, you don't need it but doesn't mean it works for everyone

I run a cloud connected dash cam, built in wifi is a must, can't rely on other drivers manually pairing their phones each time

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

I believe it does, I have a modem in my truck that works with ATT iT has an ESN # hooking it up for $10 on my plan.

Can you post pictures

Ford issued a press release just 2 weeks ago that LTE based wifi hotspot wasn't coming until select MY18 vehicles

UPRAPTOR

Reaction score
Onboard Modem Serial Number (ESN)
xxxxxxxx

go to settings,swipe to next screen, then vehicle.

different number then sirus

20170126_220437.jpg

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Onboard Modem Serial Number (ESN)
xxxxxxxx

go to settings,swipe to next screen, then vehicle.

different number then sirus

View attachment 84457

Thank you, but I meant where you're actually running it as a hotspot and can connect your phone to it

I wasn't able to do it on mine, but Ford has been known to slip in different hardware

I suspect all you're seeing is the hardware that's closed that allows the truck to use the FordPass app ie start from your cell phone, etc

Last edited:

UPRAPTOR

Reaction score
asked my dealer about it and said I could! Im reading it can be done through your phone or USB modem? Maybe the modem is for fordpass only.