GEN 2 Why you WANT people to pay over MSRP...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

conflict

Reaction score
This topic comes up in most every-thread.... There are quite a few on here who have made it there personal vendetta to ridicule anyone who would pay over invoice/sticker. Not because they actually care about saving an internet-pal money, but because they themselves haven't committed to purchase or they somehow think this will price them out of the Gen3 raptor.

This should be obvious, but if you locked in a good deal on an order, good for you. Now keep your mouth shut, sit back, and let market forces increase the value of your purchase. chilax!
:win:

D

Deleted member 12951

Paying over MSRP doesn't increase the value one bit over MSRP. Regardless of it being a raptor, it still lost value. All those sites like KBB or even the dealers black book doesn't take into consideration for ADM. You are only paying more to "have it now". Doesn't make the Gen1 resale any better. But we all know that the Gen3 will be more than the Gen2, we can be ensured of that unless Ford ruins the Raptor and discontinues it.

OP
OP
C

conflict

Reaction score
Paying over MSRP doesn't increase the value one bit over MSRP. Regardless of it being a raptor, it still lost value. All those sites like KBB or even the dealers black book doesn't take into consideration for ADM.

wishful thinking. "Value" is how much cold hard cash someone is willing to pay for something. KBB / black book doesn't mean squat. your house is worth whatever the figure is in the settlement papers at the time of sell.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Actually, I think that most of us that understand the market are trying, in our own little way, to guide people away from paying such outrageous prices for a vehicle that is overpriced. We've seen this happen in the past with these very vehicles and understand that when all the fanfare and hoopla calms down, they can be gotten much cheaper.

So it's gonna be hard for us to 'shut up' and watch potential future owners spend more money than they have to. Kind of like when someone asks about what type of lift kit to use, they get flamed and ridiculed until they get the message that it's the wrong thing to do.

For those that already spent $25k over MSRP to get a Raptor, more power to you. For those that haven't, maybe they will understand that they don't have to if they can just wait a little while and save thousands once Ford get's their act together.

And to your second point, there actually are members that do not intend to purchase a Gen2 or even a Gen3. I know that's hard for some people to wrap their heads around, but it's truth. Doesn't mean we hate those that are getting one, just means we aren't one of them.

Have a nice day!!!

OP
OP
C

conflict

Reaction score
Actually, I think that most of us that understand the market are trying, in our own little way, to guide people away from paying such outrageous prices for a vehicle that is overpriced. We've seen this happen in the past with these very vehicles and understand that when all the fanfare and hoopla calms down, they can be gotten much cheaper.

So it's gonna be hard for us to 'shut up' and watch potential future owners spend more money than they have to. Kind of like when someone asks about what type of lift kit to use, they get flamed and ridiculed until they get the message that it's the wrong thing to do.

For those that already spent $25k over MSRP to get a Raptor, more power to you. For those that haven't, maybe they will understand that they don't have to if they can just wait a little while and save thousands once Ford get's their act together.

And to your second point, there actually are members that do not intend to purchase a Gen2 or even a Gen3. I know that's hard for some people to wrap their heads around, but it's truth. Doesn't mean we hate those that are getting one, just means we aren't one of them.

Have a nice day!!!

You can try to tell me that Gen1 owners who are keeping their trucks are trash talking the MSRP++ crowd to save them from making a mistake.... but greed is natural to the human condition. More often than not there is a depreciation cliff when a new model arrives. Emotionally it must be difficult to accept that the high resell value, which has been a point of boasting for so long, is coming to and end. and MSRP++ on Gen2 trucks will only widen the gap.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can try to tell me that Gen1 owners who are keeping their trucks are trash talking the MSRP++ crowd to save them from making a mistake.... but greed is natural to the human condition. More often than not there is a depreciation cliff when a new model arrives. Emotionally it must be difficult to accept that the high resell value, which has been a point of boasting for so long, is coming to and end. and MSRP++ on Gen2 trucks will only widen the gap.

I could care less what the market is doing to the value of my Raptor, because I'm not in a resale state of mind and didn't buy my Raptor as a form of future income. It's not an original, signed, Cobra. It's a pickup truck, plain and simple. Fact is though, I may keep my Raptor long enough that someday it MIGHT be worth something.:biggrin:

I guess I don't get the personal attack theme in your posts. Key phrases 'like shut up' and 'emotionally difficult' just make you sound like one of the shit-flingers that you were calling out in your original thread post. Maybe there's more going on in your message, but it's not getting through to me......

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This topic comes up in most every-thread.... There are quite a few on here who have made it there personal vendetta to ridicule anyone who would pay over invoice/sticker. Not because they actually care about saving an internet-pal money, but because they themselves haven't committed to purchase or they somehow think this will price them out of the Gen3 raptor.

This should be obvious, but if you locked in a good deal on an order, good for you. Now keep your mouth shut, sit back, and let market forces increase the value of your purchase. chilax!
:win:

I agree. The more people are willing to pay, the more my truck is worth when I eventually decide to sell it. I have never come close to paying MSRP for any vehicle in my entire life (always much lower), but we live in a capitalistic economy where supply and demand drives price, so I had to ante up and pay MSRP to order my Raptor. We all need to sit back and quit being so judgemental. Everybody has personal reasons for doing what they do, so as long as they aren't hurting themselves or others, who are we/you to judge? Paying MSRP for a Raptor made sense to me, but I have a hard time paying the going rate for a concert because I feel ticket prices are ridiculous. How about what we spend on our wive's wedding rings? That also seems crazy to me, but we do it because it is important to them. We are all very fortunate and lucky to be able to have this conversation.

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pay what you feel comfortable paying. I would discourage anyone from paying more than MSRP, soley because I think that additional money is better spent on aftermarket items, that will bring more enjoyment. It has little to no affect on what the truck is ultimately worth. Even if the majority sell for over MSRP, the difference in overall impact in 3 years time will be less impactful than whether or not you opted for bead lock wheels or the moonroof.

D

Deleted member 12951

wishful thinking. "Value" is how much cold hard cash someone is willing to pay for something. KBB / black book doesn't mean squat. your house is worth whatever the figure is in the settlement papers at the time of sell.

2 years from now it won't make a difference, your point is invalid. Not sure of your housing market but usually the sale of your house is LESS than what is asked, everyone when buying a house is trying to get a bargain but apparently not on a newly mint raptor.

_M_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a couple things at play here.

1. Some people have enough disposable income it makes no difference if they pay more than the suggested value for something because they want it. I've paid more for some items than they are worth because I wanted it and it was available to me and I didn't want to wait any longer for it and the price difference didn't mean anything to me in the greater scheme of things. I'll bet most on this forum have done so.

2. When a vehicle routinely sells above MSRP it does help keep the overall values higher because the subsequent value that vehicle brings at auction is higher because the dealer purchasing it knows they can make money on it. Higher auction values keep used prices and trade-in values higher. Again it's supply and demand. Look at Gen1's. Auction prices were and still are pretty crazy. Henceforth the fact that I sold my Gen1 3 years after purchase for only a few thousand fewer than I paid for it. Only now are the trade-in values starting to drop a bit.

I paid a smidge over MSRP for my GT350 because I wanted it and it was available and I wasn't going to try and save a grand looking all over the country for one. I'm paying MSRP for my Raptor. I wouldn't pay over for my Raptor because I do think this second gen will level out, but if it doesn't, better for me.

All that being said the market (as others have said) dictates the price. We will see where things are in a year but I suspect these trucks will stay at or near MSRP for a while. Ford Performance vehicles are hot right now and they're bringing different buyers over to Ford that have money to spend.