Who went from Gen1 to Gen2? Regrets or no looking back...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marcsc1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have a 2014 Screw which I still love like the day I first drove it off the lot. Recently purchased a '17 Explorer Sport for my wife, had a call a few days later they just had a '17 Raptor hit the lot.

It's a '17 Lightning Blue 802A, twin panel, forged, tech package and a few other goodies. Love the look, tech and test drive it rode very nice and seemed higher than my '14. Obviously no offroading included in the test drive but from what I've seen/read its a beast.

For those that went from Gen 1 ('13-'14) to Gen 2, are you happy and never looked back? I got my truck at invoice and this one is offered at +1K over MSRP. This is over $15k in difference and just not sure if I LOVE it that much more...lol. Just wanting to see true feedback on converters, any regrets and what if so?

Current love
Rap1.jpg

Rap2.jpg

Rap4.jpg

Next love?
IMG_6651.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Marcsc1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm into gadgets and tech in general and was very into what I saw, but that alone doesn't make me want to move up that bad. The new SYNC is very ahead of where the Gen1 is, been playing with it in my wife's explorer as well. 50/50 on CarPlay but moving in the right direction for sure.

Is there anyway to update current sync in my truck to the modern one used in the '17's? Guessing not but thought I would ask....haha

ThugHunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Outside your house in the FBI Surveillance Van
I was tempted to go down to the local dealer and order a '17 a few months ago, but never pulled the trigger because I typically avoid first year models of a makeover. I'm glad I did as it sounds the Gen2 still has some QC issues to address. This will be the most money I've dropped on any vehicle I've ever purchased, so it'd better be reliable and worth the expense.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just keep your '14 for now. It's not like it'll depreciate a bunch.

1phatstang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gen 1 VS Gen 2

Went from a '12 to a Gen 2 - it's like comparing apples to oranges. The '12 fit me like an old pair of Levi's, but the '17's technology (and power in Sport Mode) make me forget the Gen 1.

ontarioraptor

Reaction score
I went from a 2014 to the 2017 Raptor and have no regrets at all.I have had it for 4 weeks now and have zero issues with the truck.Everything works perfect The performance difference is huge. Put it in Sport and let it go and I dare you not to have a smile on your face. This truck is way more fun then the 14

Spud

Reaction score
I kept my '14 Raptor and bought a '17. I'm very happy with both trucks, but like an earlier post said, "It's comparing apples to oranges." The Gen 1 is like your first girlfriend, your never going to forget her. That being said, the Gen 2 is like her younger, hotter sister..........

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My only complaint is the cup holder in the door. In the gen 1 a 32oz Gatorade fit perfectly and didn't bounce around off road. The gen2 the speaker sticks out and can't fit it anymore.
Also I have to stretch to the window controls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk