Who went from Chevy /GMC to Gen 2 Raptor any thoughts or regrets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Twisted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think I'm just ready for a change. I have GMC diesel 2500 4x4 SLT that has been great and will tow whatever. I will probably still keep it for towing, after I get the Raptor. I just think the design wise GMs going, the new truck looks a like it should have 5th wheel behind it with snow birds driving it. Raptor appears sporty and will be fun to drive

Autophanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think I'm just ready for a change. I have GMC diesel 2500 4x4 SLT that has been great and will tow whatever. I will probably still keep it for towing, after I get the Raptor. I just think the design wise GMs going, the new truck looks a like it should have 5th wheel behind it with snow birds driving it. Raptor appears sporty and will be fun to drive

Definitely, Raptor is super DUPER sporty lookin', even in totally stock form. And GMC is targeting more refined, particular individuals, evidenced by the "We Are Professional Grade" slogan. Older, wealthier, more refined clientele. Could sum up like this--When I bought my '16 Sierra Denali, the satellite radio was playing "Watercolors", which is a soft jazz, martini flavored station. When I just recently bought my RAM Rebel, from the same dealership (multiple franchises, like most of the highly successful dealerships now), satellite radio was tuned to "Outlaw Country", a no hold-barred, expletive laced country station. Just the music settings in these 2 trucks totally, perfectly, defined not only the target demographic audience, but the genuine character each truck uniquely emanates. Comically, I don't fall into a clean demographical pool--I love almost everything.....from highly refined Benz's and raw and visceral Jeep Wranglers.

foo.c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I traded my 2015 Silverado LTZ for my 2017 Raptor and have owned multiple GMC/Chevy trucks.

In all honesty, if GM made a true competitor to the Raptor I probably would have bought that instead, but I think the current K2 trucks are showing their age and need massive upgrades. I think they are ok on the drivetrain, once they get the 10 speed rolled out, but the tech and creature comforts are lacking or not as good.

Rthomas1963

Reaction score
I went from a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT, I had to put a new motor in it at 92,009 transmission at 100,000 miles I test drove a raptor and bought a 2013 flame blue with 53,000 miles on it and I have no regrets. To be honest with you it ride smoother than my wife's GMC Denali Yukon it's quieter and I'm averaging 15.5 miles per gallon on the highway.

Overboost

Reaction score
Same here. I haven't had a Ford truck since I traded mine for a Tahoe in 2002. Have had a couple sierra's in the mean time. Great trucks in my opinion. I would probably still have my 2008 Sierra Denali if some lady didnt run a red light and smash my passenger side at the front wheel. I have 14 Sierra Z71 now and its a great truck, I have had zero problems it with but I have always loved Raptors and have one ordered. Hopefully it comes soon!

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Had a 2011 Raptor and getting ready to order a 2018. I went to our local auto show just to make sure the Raptor was what I really want. Looked at the Ram, GM's, and Yota. For me the Chevy/GMC exterior isn't horrible. Don't love it but could live with it. The interior is straight out of the 90's. Not sure where GM spent their money but they certainly forgot the interior in every way. For me, it will be a Raptor.

CatchMeOffroad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done it a couple of times, since 2013, and in both directions. Most recently, but well over a year ago, I sold my '14 Raptor for a '16 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali. Had the 6.2L, fully loaded (except ridiculous 22" wheels and power running boards....they later came out with the Denali "Ultimate"), very nice, sharp truck. I've had a lot of vehicles to compare by (49), so I do have a somewhat qualified perspective when I say I agree with you that the design, specifically inside the cockpit, is quite staid, quite boring. It's well put together, in my opinion, but certainly falls behind on what, say FCA is doing, or Ford. Yes, they added a bunch of outlets in the front for device, charging pad for center console, and nice LED interior lighting, but many valuable engineering opportunities missed for clever storage solutions (RAM does the better than anyone I've ever seen or owned).

Powertrain, the 6.2L specifically, in the GM trucks is superlative; absolutely superlative. Has amazing power, everywhere, and sounds fantastic. New 8 speed automatic is better at extracting engine's new muscle, and pulling better fuel economy out of it. However, as far as refinement, compared to ZF in FCA's products, falls far short. Far short. I reported on other threads my criticisms, in detail, on this transmission, whether in my Denali, or my Stingray, and will conclude again that GM's 8 speed transmission is NOT superlative. Follow Truck Trend's "2016 Truck of The Year" for detailed reports from them, as they experienced the same "banging", like being rear-ended by another vehicle, in their long term Denali test unit. Later reports indicate computer reflashes have remedied the problem; just pointing out there is an established history of some hiccups, teething problems....imagine that! Ford would never do that :win:.

Anyway, all in all, my '16 Denali was a very satisfying truck. Lots of muscle for towing. Good payload, since GM actually cares about that (some don't, namely RAM). To my eye, very handsome exterior styling. Good interior quality. Lots of technology overall, and yet lacking things I really enjoy in a modern vehicle, like push button start and passive, hands-free, keyless entry. Amazing overall performance, a pretty decent ride with the Magnetic Ride (although not as good as my '17 Rebel with the 4 corner air suspension and bigger, beefier sidewalls), and surprisingly good fuel economy--and I'm not easy on the go-pedal either :biggrin:.

Of course, compared to a Raptor, the Denali seemed quite pedestrian, quite mainstream. Oh, I know, the word is boring. Loved the truck. But we're comparing against Raptors here!

Excellent summary of all 3 Detroit trucks.:waytogo:

Robtor310

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford and Chevy are always 1 upping each other. From a long time GM guy, as it stands aside from the Raptor, (no comparison) Ford has the edge. Ive gotten away from brand loyalty and decided to go with who makes the best product.

Different philosophies, Ford is leading with innovation right now and Chevy keeps making "special editions" GM is going to do some major changes in the 19 MY. We'll see.

Ill still have my 52 Chevy but for current model year trucks all Ford.