White smoke out of right exhaust, slow acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

rpunya

Reaction score
Apologies for not updating.

I went back to the mudhole I hit back at the end of May and it measured to 1'2" deep. So not 3' like I thought it was, my bad.

Back then, yes I did hit that mudhole hard, but I can't find a reason why I would have these issues now. The air filter was still damp apparently, and I have no idea how.

It looks like turbos, cylinder head and gasket as of now. I will know more on Tuesday when Ford can actually take a look at it. I have the video of when I hit, so I'll upload that as well. https://youtu.be/jF9g7v9FoMY

My confusion is how the vehicle could have been driving like this for an entire month before something happened. That's where my question of "thoughts?" came into mind. Water/mud in the vehicle for a month and just now somethings going on? That's weird to me.

I have no reason to not tell you guys if I hit a mudhole the weekend before. But I tell you, it was a month ago.

Again here's the link: https://youtu.be/jF9g7v9FoMY

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
95 percent it's a turbo seal. Esp going through water with hot turbos, the instant change from hot to cold will cause issues. especially with new turbos where the metal hasn't shrunk and stretch for thousands of miles.

My old eco boost would smoke a little on start up, but it'd would go away after a bit. Noticed it on a friends when he starts up as well.

Other than that car had strong power and no hiccups the entire time I owned it and I didn't even have a weephole.

I doubt much water made it into your engine. Based on the hot glow from the front tire well, you probably warped some part of the turbo/Turbos and it destroyed the seal.

Last edited:

BAD454SS

Banned
Reaction score
Running with a damp and dirty air filter will cause turbos to overspeed. Like putting your hand over the hose of a vacuum cleaner , it speeds up. Overspeeding the turbo , blows the seal and bearings. Not to metion if water droplets actually made it to the turbo impeller.

GrdnFrmn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless he has turbos in the back, too, I think the glow on the video is from some sort of wheel well light.

Given the amount of water already thrown around that "puddle," I'm guessing it may have been deeper the first 10 times he hit it at speed. The intake sits high, above the radiator. You'd have to go deep and fast in water to swamp and deform the filter the way he has. Rust? I guess not everyone checks the engine bay after a serious adventure.

95 percent it's a turbo seal. Esp going through water with hot turbos, the instant change from hot to cold will cause issues. especially with new turbos where the metal hasn't shrunk and stretch for thousands of miles.

My old eco boost would smoke a little on start up, but it'd would go away after a bit. Noticed it on a friends when he starts up as well.

Other than that car had strong power and no hiccups the entire time I owned it and I didn't even have a weephole.

I doubt much water made it into your engine. Based on the hot glow from the front tire well, you probably warped some part of the turbo/Turbos and it destroyed the seal.

ReefBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If there was that much water in his engine, he wouldn't have made it out of the puddle the first time. It wouldn't have taken a month for the damage to cause his problem. His engine would have stopped immediately, or rattled and knocked within seconds, then stopped.

This isn't water damage.

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I've taken my Rap through a river 4 ft deep an had no issues since. The intake sits high enough that it wouldn't draw water unless it was prolonged exposure.

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Agreed. I've taken my Rap through a river 4 ft deep an had no issues since. The intake sits high enough that it wouldn't draw water unless it was prolonged exposure.

Or forced in due to high speed. Looking at his airbox the water had to be moving very fast to fold up the air filter.

My guess. The air filter collapsed covering the opening which prevented the water from immediately enter the turbos/engine. Once the filter shifted whatever water/mud left in the airbox found it's way down stream.

k-rub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or forced in due to high speed. Looking at his airbox the water had to be moving very fast to fold up the air filter.

My guess. The air filter collapsed covering the opening which prevented the water from immediately enter the turbos/engine. Once the filter shifted whatever water/mud left in the airbox found it's way down stream.

I could see that happening too. It's just hard to imagine water causing damage because of the placement and routing of the intake system.