White smoke out of right exhaust, slow acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rpunya

Reaction score
Yesterday after taking her Baja mode at 70-80mph on a straight dirt road, I noticed the power being weak. The road didn't have any potholes, some hills but nothing extreme.

It wasnt until I hit asphalt that I realized the RPMs would rev up to 3-4000 before the truck could really move from 15-25mph. Nothing was happening on the turbo gauge either.

After 1 minute, the check engine light came on as well as the wrench. I didn't see the smoke right away as I was driving through some heavy wind and sand, I was assuming it was that.

Took the ride back home for about 8 miles at 35mph. When I got to the driveway, that's when I noticed I was trailing white smoke. At idle, there's none, right when you hit the gas, there's a ton. It's smelly like rotten eggs or so and it's smoking pretty bad.

I took it to the dealership this morning. The first thing they noticed so far is that my air filter was popped off somehow, and that it was rusted over like I had submerged it in water. I've hit a couple mud puddles but nothing more than 3 feet deep.

Tl;dr tranny is not outputting power, takes 5 seconds to go from 15-30mph, no turbos spooling, white smelly smoke like rotten eggs out of right side exhaust, completely rusted air filter

Thoughts?

8300 miles on it

Last edited:

solarwinds

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday after taking her Baja mode at 70-80mph on a straight dirt road, I noticed the power being weak. The road didn't have any potholes, some hills but nothing extreme.

It wasnt until I hit asphalt that I realized the RPMs would rev up to 3-4000 before the truck could really move from 15-25mph. Nothing was happening on the turbo gauge either.

After 1 minute, the check engine light came on as well as the wrench. I didn't see the smoke right away as I was driving through some heavy wind and sand, I was assuming it was that.

Took the ride back home for about 8 miles at 35mph. When I got to the driveway, that's when I noticed I was trailing white smoke. At idle, there's none, right when you hit the gas, there's a ton. It's smelly like rotten eggs or so and it's smoking pretty bad.

I took it to the dealership this morning. The first thing they noticed so far is that my air filter was popped off somehow, and that it was rusted over like I had submerged it in water. I've hit a couple mud puddles but nothing more than 3 feet deep.

Tl;dr tranny is not outputting power, takes 5 seconds to go from 15-30mph, no turbos spooling, white smelly smoke like rotten eggs out of right side exhaust, completely rusted air filter

Thoughts?
should be covered under warranty. i wouldn't tell the dealer this story though :crazy: white smoke is usually burning oil somewhere, did they overfill your oil on oil change ?

HankTheTank

Reaction score
Idk how these ecoboosts are set up but if you're just getting smelly white exhaust from one pipe maybe you lost the turbo on that side.
No turbo = no boost = no oxygen = incomplete burn = unburnt gas coming out the tail pipe.

Coukd be a head gasket I suppose... Check you coolant/oil levels and consistency. Be careful when checking the coolant. It could still be pressurized even if the engine is cold.

Actually screw it just take it to the dealer and let them fix it under warranty haha.

Last edited:

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I had a similar thing happen on my Duramax back in the day. There was a oil seal on the turbo that blew and the oil was pouring into the downpipe. It was a lot of smoke too. Ended up getting a new turbo that fixed the issue. Either way you're under warranty so you should be good.

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The smoke is probably oil, the smell is probably the cat(s) on that bank. If you're burning oil due to a blown turbo seal, cracked ring, etc..., it wouldn't take long to clog the cat, thus resulting in the stink and utter lack of power.

Either way, time to go see the mechanic.