Wheel Wells: Line-X or Husky Insert?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TKS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Husky just emailed and said they will have an insert for the Gen 2s. They said their local dealer just gave them access to a Gen 2 so they can measure for future production. No dates were given regarding availability. From the looks of other Husky products, they look clean (manufactured well) and light weight, yet durable. However, I don't want them to cover the back suspension since I think it looks pretty cool to see the suspension.

Question...with cost not being a factor (local Line-X guy will do wheel wells for $125 each), what would you do? Line-X or wait for Husky inserts.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Husky just emailed and said they will have an insert for the Gen 2s. They said their local dealer just gave them access to a Gen 2 so they can measure for future production. No dates were given regarding availability. From the looks of other Husky products, they look clean (manufactured well) and light weight, yet durable. However, I don't want them to cover the back suspension since I think it looks pretty cool to see the suspension.

Question...with cost not being a factor (local Line-X guy will do wheel wells for $125 each), what would you do? Line-X or wait for Husky inserts.

I got tired of waiting for inserts, so I sprayed them with Rustoleum Bed Liner this weekend ($7 per can. Used one can per side.). I am very pleased with the look. I have 100% no painting experience, but within two hours I was able to clean, prep, and paint both wheel wells. As long as you make sure everything is masked off appropriately and you hold the can sufficiently far back to prevent runs, it is very easy to do and looks great.

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
I got tired of waiting for inserts, so I sprayed them with Rustoleum Bed Liner this weekend ($7 per can. Used one can per side.). I am very pleased with the look. I have 100% no painting experience, but within two hours I was able to clean, prep, and paint both wheel wells. As long as you make sure everything is masked off appropriately and you hold the can sufficiently far back to prevent runs, it is very easy to do and looks great.

Smart! That's what I was planning on doing. Pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seartrip

Reaction score
I also ended up painting my wheel wells myself rather than Line-X them. My Line-X dealer wanted way too much to do it ($400), so I went with my original plan which was to use 3M Rubberized Undercoating in a spray can. I've used it before with great success. I'm not worried about rust with the aluminum bed, and if anything did get scraped up or worn, I can touch it up. I agree with the previous poster the whole job takes about two hours to do it nice and neatly. I pulled the rear wheels, cleaned/prepped, masked and sprayed it. I'm really happy with the results. Took one can per side, but had a third as a backup. Advice- if you do this, try to shoot the top of your wheel wells first while the can is still pretty full. Once the can starts emptying it's less tolerant of angles. So you start at the top and work you way down to the vertical surfaces. I was able to use every bit in both cans.

Not the best pics, but so much better than seeing the white bed and wheel wells.

20170218_144102.jpg

20170218_144117.jpg

Last edited:

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
I also ended up painting my wheel wells myself rather than Line-X them. My Line-X dealer wanted way too much to do it ($400), so I went with my original plan which was to use 3M Rubberized Undercoating in a spray can. I've used it before with great success. I'm not worried about rust with the aluminum bed, and if anything did get scraped up or worn, I can touch it up. I agree with the previous poster the whole job takes about two hours to do it nice and neatly. I pulled the rear wheels, cleaned/prepped, masked and sprayed it. I'm really happy with the results. Took one can per side, but had a third as a backup. Advice- if you do this, try to shoot the top of your wheel wells first while the can is still pretty full. Once the can starts emptying it's less tolerant of angles. So you start at the top and work you way down to the vertical surfaces. I was able to use every bit in both cans.

Not the best pics, but so much better than seeing the white bed and wheel wells.

Thanks for the pics that looks really good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crash457

I'm Batman
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to see how the paint holds up to rock chips. I suppose its still cheaper even if you repaint the wheel wells every year.

theBoss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will get rubbing inside the fender wells under full flex with factory tires. I've got a spot as big as a quarter rubbed through the paint inside my driver's side wheel well. Not an issue with a paint you can touch up but don't know how a liner will stand up to it.

03'Darin

FRF Addict
Reaction score

My opinion is it depends on what you're looking for. Just blacked out wheel wells.... then you could just paint them and save money.

Personally I'm looking for function. With WW liners a lot of the debris that comes up off of your tires is stopped from chipping/denting the aluminum in the wheel well, flying up and laying in the cracks and crevices of the body/frame and gives you the blacked out WW affect to boot. I also prefer not to see the bed supports and underside of the bed from the wheel well opening. So if someone make a WW liner that fits good, I'll buy it.

If not then I'll paint the wheel wells. Because I hate the look of the gray showing in the rear wheel well and not the front.

I emailed a friend of mine at Ford Performance and asked what was done with the wheel wells on their trucks (Because the preproduction units I saw had black wheel wells). He said the two that were currently at his office both had the wheel wells painted black.