What would you do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dr.Duct_Mossburg

Reaction score
Option 1: Avalanche (first color choice) loaded with all options I want, brand new on the lot. Willing to come $500 off of MSRP. I've had to go through 3 salespeople to finally get a callback. This dealer is about 3.5 hours from me, however, I will be in the area of the dealer tomorrow but I would still have to take a train back down to the area to get one of my vehicles (or take the train). The truck has a May build date so it's damn near a year old though it has no miles. The dealer knows that they're probably the only one in the country with a new avalanche on the lot.... or at least the chances of me finding another are very slim to none.

Option 2: Oxford white. MSRP. 15 minutes from my house. All of the same options. The sales guy was personable and offered to come pick me up so I didn't have to arrange transportation home.

Both of these trucks have the graphics packages which I'm not a fan of. So part of me says if I'm not getting an avalanche to put in the time to find one without graphics.

What do you do?

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Option 1: Avalanche (first color choice) loaded with all options I want, brand new on the lot. Willing to come $500 off of MSRP. I've had to go through 3 salespeople to finally get a callback. This dealer is about 3.5 hours from me, however, I will be in the area of the dealer tomorrow but I would still have to take a train back down to the area to get one of my vehicles (or take the train). The truck has a May build date so it's damn near a year old though it has no miles. The dealer knows that they're probably the only one in the country with a new avalanche on the lot.... or at least the chances of me finding another are very slim to none.

Option 2: Oxford white. MSRP. 15 minutes from my house. All of the same options. The sales guy was personable and offered to come pick me up so I didn't have to arrange transportation home.

Both of these trucks have the graphics packages which I'm not a fan of. So part of me says if I'm not getting an avalanche to put in the time to find one without graphics.

What do you do?

skip the avalanche and get a truck without 2K in graphics that you'll peel off anyway.

I'd also opt to go with the better dealership experience. paying less and having to deal with an awful post-sale experience is not something i'd opt to do again (happened with one of my gt350s).

Sgroer

Reaction score
I'm glad I didn't take the bait on a 2017 I was chasing- Changed my mind and started searching for a 2018 due to the B&O sound. It really is an awesome system and would be disappointed with the Sony sound which, to my ears, was in a much lower league.

happy with my 2018, of course, both the 2017 and 2018 were Lightning Blue so I didn't have to deal with color confusion!

Good luck either way.

Campbellsoutlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was Oxford your second color choice? If so, I agree with the above...these trucks are too much for a salesman to treat you crappy and not bend over backwards for you. Hit up the salesman with the ‘18 and let him know the graphics package is your sticking point (I’m sure you’ve used them against each other by now). Maybe you can get him to bump $500 to match...there’s a few others that have gotten $500-$1000 off MSRP.

Good luck!

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I vote Option 2 as well. The sales experience will be significantly better and you'll enjoy your truck more. Plus, white is a very versatile color for dressing up with different color wheels and potential graphics work.

sdfd504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Push the Option #1 dealer for a lower price. I paid invoice for my 2017 Avalanche 802a back in December so there is no reason you shouldn't be able to get that out of them. Otherwise I would try to find a dealer that will order the truck exactly as you want it. Several on this site and Facebook group have allocations available and no reason to pay for the graphics if you don't want them.

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure why transportation to the dealer is such a big deal for you.

When you are buying a brand new vehicle for nearly $70k, I would go with the one closest to the desired one in your head. I'd compromise less on exactly the truck I always wanted, and compromise more on other things such as transportation to dealer.

I could give two s**ts about sales experience or post sales experience. I do most of my own regular maintenance at home and can take the vehicle anywhere in the country for warranty work. I usually never see the selling dealer ever again for most of my vehicles. So what does it matter if they are not the nicest. You beat them up on the price you want, then deal.