What weight dist hitch is everyone using?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

profunctional

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm towing a boat that's 8000lbs including the trailer. (Nautique G23)

I didn't use one with my 2016 platinum f150 and it did not sag. But with the raptors height I wasn't sure if I could get away with that again.

What are you using?

rms8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm towing a boat that's 8000lbs including the trailer. (Nautique G23)

I didn't use one with my 2016 platinum f150 and it did not sag. But with the raptors height I wasn't sure if I could get away with that again.

What are you using?

Will be very interested in the replies/suggestions you get. My race car+trailer don't weigh that much, but given the Raptors soft suspension, I knew this would be something to think about when the time comes vs. my other F150.

Brodee42

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm using the Blue Ox Sway Pro. I've used it on many trucks. Does a good job with sway control and distributing the weight on the Raptor.

As you know, you'll have to do something with the rear suspension as the Raptor's payload rating is very low - that's another conversion with a lot of different answers!

mridahodan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what I have. I use it to pull my 32ft camp trailer without too much sag and have not had any sway issues. My brother who has a smaller trailer and a f250 says mine pulls as well as his, but mine is more comfortable. :biggrin:

1,000 / 10,000 lb. Equal-i-zer Sway Control Hitch

I know I'm only a gen1, but the hitch should work for gen2 as well. It's very well built and I've had no issues with it.

Attachments

• 2016-09-05 11.29.49.jpg
    2016-09-05 11.29.49.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 120

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a husky one work great. Don't forget that the bars need to be rated for your tongue weight so load your trailer up and weigh it before you go buy one.

OP
OP
P

profunctional

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is here any harm in going with a wdh that's tounge weight and capacity is rated for more than you need? The delta in price between them all is small so wouldn't you just buy the strongest one?

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is here any harm in going with a wdh that's tounge weight and capacity is rated for more than you need? The delta in price between them all is small so wouldn't you just buy the strongest one?

Yes, you may not be able to correctly set the bars to level the weight, and if can the ride will be very stiff and uncomfortable in the rear end because there is not enough weight on the bars.

OP
OP
P

profunctional

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you may not be able to correctly set the bars to level the weight, and if can the ride will be very stiff and uncomfortable in the rear end because there is not enough weight on the bars.

got it. my next question is how do you weigh the tongue weight without being at a weight station?

Seems like the logical thing is to tow the boat to a weigh station, unhook it and weight it.

But that would imply that I could tow it to the weigh station.