What PSI to run 35x12.50R20 Toyo M/T's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hopefully someone here is an expert on inflation because there is a lot that goes into something so damn simple.

Toyo's Reference (Too complex for my redneck ass):https://toyotires-1524598101.netdna...ication_of_load_inflation_tables_20170203.pdf

When I put upgraded to these tires the shop put them at 50 PSI but they feel a little rigid on rough roads and was thinking about dropping down to 40 PSI. I assume 50 PSI will make the tires survive an extra 10k miles or so but would rather have a little smoother ride. I do have 20" wheels which also degrades the ride a little as well.

Thoughts on the optimal PSI for this Tire on the Gen 2 Raptor?

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Do a chalk test on the tires. Make 1" wide band across the width of the tire with either chalk or a grease pencil. Do a short drive at normal speed that includes both left and right turns. Stop and check the chalk lines. If the center chalk is gone you are over inflated. If the sides are gone you are under inflated.

Reaction score
Do a chalk test on the tires. Make 1" wide band across the width of the tire with either chalk or a grease pencil. Do a short drive at normal speed that includes both left and right turns. Stop and check the chalk lines. If the center chalk is gone you are over inflated. If the sides are gone you are under inflated.

I've never heard of this before, but it sounds simple and useful! Thanks!

TRIMMELL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my Ram HD's I always ran 60psi ish and I would imagine low 40's would be your sweet on the Raptor. That size is stiff AF.

OP
OP
JetDriver480

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The fact that I am running 35's on 20" wheels might be a reason also... Wanted to stay with 20's so I could upgrade to 37's in the future possibly.

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No expert by any means, but what is max rating?

What is outdoor temperature and max expected where you drive...unless nitrogen filled...which to me putting Ford Performance on these trucks they should have been nitrogen filled.

On my 14. I have the Toyo AT II's...have to go look..but they are a narrower tire and ~34.5. Had to get different wheels as well, but stuck with 17". Went to this so I could put chains on all 4 tires. It drove rough, didn't think a lot of it until I was about 1/2 mile off road. Jumped out and aired down. Buddy in the truck was asking me "What did you air down to?" "I don't know about 15 seconds." Drove a bit further and still wasn't enough so aired down another 10 seconds. Once I got home I checked and it was 12 under max rating. They are still a bit stiff, nowhere near as forgiving as the stock tires, but I do a fair amount of offroading in areas with a lot of rock, so I'll take some fuel mileage loss for a better ride, plus with the rocks and less air helps allow for more flex.

If you really want to run optimal remove the air in the tires and refill with nitrogen...I'd say 3-5 psi below max rating...maybe even go to max as it is easier to air down at that point then to refill with nitrogen, unless you drive back to where you got the N from. Then try the chalk test and adjust accordingly. I haven't done the chalk test.

My 17 came with 50 psi in the stock at like 40 deg F outside...45 psi is max rating at full load. I aired those down to a few times to finally get to 38, but after driving awhile and temps warming up to 60ish, my pressure went up to 41...probably will air down a bit more as temps are continuing to climb, unless I get a chance to add N.

OP
OP
JetDriver480

JetDriver480

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No expert by any means, but what is max rating?

What is outdoor temperature and max expected where you drive...unless nitrogen filled...which to me putting Ford Performance on these trucks they should have been nitrogen filled.

On my 14. I have the Toyo AT II's...have to go look..but they are a narrower tire and ~34.5. Had to get different wheels as well, but stuck with 17". Went to this so I could put chains on all 4 tires. It drove rough, didn't think a lot of it until I was about 1/2 mile off road. Jumped out and aired down. Buddy in the truck was asking me "What did you air down to?" "I don't know about 15 seconds." Drove a bit further and still wasn't enough so aired down another 10 seconds. Once I got home I checked and it was 12 under max rating. They are still a bit stiff, nowhere near as forgiving as the stock tires, but I do a fair amount of offroading in areas with a lot of rock, so I'll take some fuel mileage loss for a better ride, plus with the rocks and less air helps allow for more flex.

If you really want to run optimal remove the air in the tires and refill with nitrogen...I'd say 3-5 psi below max rating...maybe even go to max as it is easier to air down at that point then to refill with nitrogen, unless you drive back to where you got the N from. Then try the chalk test and adjust accordingly. I haven't done the chalk test.

My 17 came with 50 psi in the stock at like 40 deg F outside...45 psi is max rating at full load. I aired those down to a few times to finally get to 38, but after driving awhile and temps warming up to 60ish, my pressure went up to 41...probably will air down a bit more as temps are continuing to climb, unless I get a chance to add N.

Max load is 80PSI cold... I am happy with 40PSI now... 80 would be like riding rocks.