What I learned in Raptor School

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Monster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you use the window washer, the front camera gets washed along with the windshield. None of us knew that, thought it was pretty cool.

Also learned left foot braking technique, how to shift into rock crawl mode without terrible noises...and got practice with hill descent. Fun mashing the pedal off-road in someone else’s Raptor.

Went last week. Others have posted great write ups about it. If you want to use the cash and time, definitely do it, unless you are already a very experienced off-road individual. In that case you might be bored.

Instructors told us about a some guys the previous week who thought the high speed baja section wasn’t fast enough (told to keep it under 45), so they went back with their personal Raptor and...flipped it. Totaled the truck, set off every airbag, and hung upside down for a while. Roof held, good news there.

If you stay in downtown SLC 30 miles away, check out the Grand America. Awesome hotel. And the parking garage height is 7ft.

Last edited:

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
When you use the window washer, the front camera gets washed along with the windshield. None of us knew that, thought it was pretty cool.

Also learned left foot braking technique, how to shift into rock crawl mode without terrible noises...and got practice with hill descent. Fun mashing the pedal off-road in someone else’s Raptor.

Went last week. Others have posted great write ups about it. If you want to use the cash and time, definitely do it, unless you are already a very experienced off-road individual. In that case you might be bored.

Instructors told us about a some guys the previous week who thought the high speed baja section wasn’t fast enough (told to keep it under 45), so they went back with their personal Raptor and...flipped it. Totaled the truck, set off every airbag, and hung upside down for a while. Roof held, good news there.

If you stay in downtown SLC 30 miles away, check out the Grand America. Awesome hotel. And the parking garage height is 7ft.

Wonder if insurance will cover the guy’s Raptor. Anyone have experience claiming offroad damage?

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't see how 45 is safe and "over" 45 equates to a flip... They were either being stupid or driving WAY faster than 45... Or both

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Seeing 70mph on the speedo during R/A is great and all. Trying to hold that speed stupidly through all of the fast course is asking for trouble.

I wonder if they flipped at the ruts, or at one of the turns...

OP
OP
M

Monster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seeing 70mph on the speedo during R/A is great and all. Trying to hold that speed stupidly through all of the fast course is asking for trouble.

I wonder if they flipped at the ruts, or at one of the turns...

Exactly.

They didn’t tell us where/how they flipped or at what speed. They were also on the radios telling trucks to slow down or check their speed.

They did imply that insurance was going to pay for the wrecked truck. Said it “was going to raise insurance on all raptors” lol.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Exactly.

They didn’t tell us where/how they flipped or at what speed. They were also on the radios telling trucks to slow down or check their speed.

They did imply that insurance was going to pay for the wrecked truck. Said it “was going to raise insurance on all raptors” lol.

I was surprised how reasonable insurance was on my Raptor because my insurance company treats it like a F-150.