What happened to the Special Edition Raptors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1fastdoc

Reaction score
I currently have a '14 Raptor with ruby red metallic paint and the two tone black and red interior.

I love the truck but I'd prefer to move to a turbo V6 over the V8. Over the last 3k miles I've averaged exactly 10.0 mpg. And with Nashville roads getting shittier every day, the Raptor is now my DD.

Given it's nearly 4 years old, my intent was to trade it for a new one. But the only red option is Race Red. Not keen on that. And the only two tone option is orange striping on a Shadow Black. Not happening.

Anyone know if the special edition is going to return?

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I currently have a '14 Raptor with ruby red metallic paint and the two tone black and red interior.

I love the truck but I'd prefer to move to a turbo V6 over the V8. Over the last 3k miles I've averaged exactly 10.0 mpg. And with Nashville roads getting shittier every day, the Raptor is now my DD.

Given it's nearly 4 years old, my intent was to trade it for a new one. But the only red option is Race Red. Not keen on that. And the only two tone option is orange striping on a Shadow Black. Not happening.

Ruby red is supposed come back later in the 2018 production year, ie "late availability". Orange interior accents are available on all body colors except red.

D

Deleted member 12951

They only offered the Special Edition on the last year of that generation and was a new color offered along with the traditional Tuxedo Black. I don't believe there is anything official out there right now but if Ford keeps that same concept, it wouldn't be until 2021 unless they have the GEN2 for less than 5 years.

Are you only wanting a red color type raptor?

swampfox

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Just put this on the tailgate. It's good for a few cool points.
13cf1e4f3adb7b92854ce41c82bcbe13.jpg

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
They will come at the end of the Gen-2 production cycle. They will want to generate interest in the outgoing model so they come out with a "Limited or Special" edition. Marketings way to up charge the dated/obsolete model but keep people interested before the new model hits the lot.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They will come at the end of the Gen-2 production cycle. They will want to generate interest in the outgoing model so they come out with a "Limited or Special" edition. Marketings way to up charge the dated/obsolete model but keep people interested before the new model hits the lot.

If the Raptor goes on a 2 year hiatus between G2 and G3, I suspect they won't have a problem finding buyers. Reportedly there were waiting lists at dealers for the 2014 that didn't get filled because production ended.

OP
OP

1fastdoc

Reaction score
They only offered the Special Edition on the last year of that generation and was a new color offered along with the traditional Tuxedo Black. I don't believe there is anything official out there right now but if Ford keeps that same concept, it wouldn't be until 2021 unless they have the GEN2 for less than 5 years.

Are you only wanting a red color type raptor?

Yep. And when I replace the GTR it will be with another dark red car, probably a 570s. The color looks good and it hides minor imperfections remarkably well.

tBT6mXaB4FsrZ_VJ_AJDTIjfyNV60ETwPYkw=w1611-h899-no.png