Weird sound coming from underneeth!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swimmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i love how i have written two posts on what it is, but people are still wondering what this sound is. Do me a favor, next time you shutdown and you hear it, put your HEAD IN THE FRONT TIRE WELL WHERE YOUR TURBO is....I bet you'll end up discovering where the sound is coming from.

This does not happen after the engine is shutoff. It ONLY occurs when the Ignition is in the on position and the engine is not running. Opening the door or anything else has no effect. Also, it is not coming from the turbo area. I know what sound you are referring to, and this is not it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AJ-Raptor

Reaction score
That is exactly where my sound is coming from also. It is super loud while the truck is sitting in my garage. I can even hear it with the windows rolled up. It is much harder to hear when the truck is out in an open parking lot. You pretty much have to crawl under the truck to hear it. I think that is why the mechanic didn't pay much attention to it. To me it sounds like a stuck relay or bad capacitor or some other electrical component. Mine has been doing this for over a month with no apparent problems. It bothers me, but I don't know what else to do about it unless it actually causes a failure for something. I'm eager to see if your dealer acknowledges it or not.
Again, the sound starts the moment you press the ignition button (without pressing the brakes), and doesn't stop until you turn the ignition off. I first noticed it around 2K miles. I now have about 3.5K miles. No modifications have been made to the truck.

Yes this is the exact same thing i have. I haven't been to the dealer yet but i will let them know about it when I do and report back.

Swimmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes this is the exact same thing i have. I haven't been to the dealer yet but i will let them know about it when I do and report back.
AJ, I was curious if you have any updates for this problem. I’m due for an oil change and I was going to bring it up again to the dealership.

mr_beaverhousen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just piggybacking on this thread. Yesterday I walked back to the truck after it was turned off for 20 minutes to hear this whistling buzzing noise from the engine bay. Any ideas?

Sorry for the bad camera angle. Was mostly trying to record the audio. I also started hearing a short buzzing noise when I approach the proximity sensors with the key fob in my pocket. This started after my last service.

https://youtu.be/h7tnjYAnJ3s

lightman02

Reaction score
Just piggybacking on this thread. Yesterday I walked back to the truck after it was turned off for 20 minutes to hear this whistling buzzing noise from the engine bay. Any ideas?

Sorry for the bad camera angle. Was mostly trying to record the audio. I also started hearing a short buzzing noise when I approach the proximity sensors with the key fob in my pocket. This started after my last service.

https://youtu.be/h7tnjYAnJ3s

I've been hearing the exact same sound on mine, I could be wrong but I feel like I hear it when the wind is blowing. I'm wondering if it's air being pushed by the wind though something making that noise, horn maybe?

Swimmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted to follow up in case anyone else is having this problem. Ford finally diagnosed and fixed my issue by replacing the "Transmission Main Control Valve". The noise was actually coming from inside of my transmission which is why I had such a hard time finding the source.

jreaper

Reaction score
I wanted to follow up in case anyone else is having this problem. Ford finally diagnosed and fixed my issue by replacing the "Transmission Main Control Valve". The noise was actually coming from inside of my transmission which is why I had such a hard time finding the source.

Was this on the 10-speed? I'm having the exact same issue with my 2012 with the 6r80 just after they changed the leadframe under extended warranty. Hoping they cover this too.

Swimmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was this on the 10-speed? I'm having the exact same issue with my 2012 with the 6r80 just after they changed the leadframe under extended warranty. Hoping they cover this too.

Yes, this was the 10 Speed from a 2017. It has been working great since they replaced the Main Control Valve. I sent you a copy of the service receipt so you can see the part number that they replaced.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoahE