Weird sound coming from underneeth!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spartan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man it sounds like more of an electrical buzzing sound rather than a rattle. Does it only happen when your new lights are on? If it were me I would disconnect the lights and see if it still happens. Are you sure that you connected them correctly? What brand of lights are they? 8 wood might be correct but it might be worth it to try. Good luck.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Where are you guys getting the word "rattle" from? No one claimed it was a rattle, and no one suggested any fixes for a rattle.

Spartan1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He didn't say rattle though. Waste gates can make noises without rattling.

Also, aren't the waste gates on Raptors electric? Meaning they can actuate without the motor running?

I am agreeing with you in that it doesn't sound like a rattle to me. It sounds electrical and it sounds like it started right after he installed his new lights. I wonder about the quality of the lights and the install. Maybe it is westgate "noise" but why not rule out the lights first?

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am agreeing with you in that it doesn't sound like a rattle to me. It sounds electrical and it sounds like it started right after he installed his new lights. I wonder about the quality of the lights and the install. Maybe it is westgate "noise" but why not rule out the lights first?

Sorry for the confusion. OP should be able to rule out the lights by checking for noise with the lights on vs off I would think. I've installed aftermarket HID's that make a buzzing sound from the ballast. Come to think of it, even OEM ones do also, but they're pretty quiet unless listening for it.

OP
OP
A

AJ-Raptor

Reaction score
Man it sounds like more of an electrical buzzing sound rather than a rattle. Does it only happen when your new lights are on? If it were me I would disconnect the lights and see if it still happens. Are you sure that you connected them correctly? What brand of lights are they? 8 wood might be correct but it might be worth it to try. Good luck.

Not related to lights being on or off. I tried removing the fuse for the new lights that is in the harness but that doesn't change anything. Even tried disconnecting it from the battery.

The sound is right below the center armrest but towards the belly of the truck.

Swimmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not related to lights being on or off. I tried removing the fuse for the new lights that is in the harness but that doesn't change anything. Even tried disconnecting it from the battery.

The sound is right below the center armrest but towards the belly of the truck.

That is exactly where my sound is coming from also. It is super loud while the truck is sitting in my garage. I can even hear it with the windows rolled up. It is much harder to hear when the truck is out in an open parking lot. You pretty much have to crawl under the truck to hear it. I think that is why the mechanic didn't pay much attention to it. To me it sounds like a stuck relay or bad capacitor or some other electrical component. Mine has been doing this for over a month with no apparent problems. It bothers me, but I don't know what else to do about it unless it actually causes a failure for something. I'm eager to see if your dealer acknowledges it or not.
Again, the sound starts the moment you press the ignition button (without pressing the brakes), and doesn't stop until you turn the ignition off. I first noticed it around 2K miles. I now have about 3.5K miles. No modifications have been made to the truck.

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i love how i have written two posts on what it is, but people are still wondering what this sound is. Do me a favor, next time you shutdown and you hear it, put your HEAD IN THE FRONT TIRE WELL WHERE YOUR TURBO is....I bet you'll end up discovering where the sound is coming from.