Wait list & MSRP issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

armyturtle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a local Ford dealership who claims to be taking names for a wait list (though he admits there are currently only 4 others on it). He said the way it's going to work is that when they announce the ability to actually take orders they're going to contact people on the wait list in order and those that are willing to pay a certain amount over MSRP will be offered the ability to place a pre-order.

Does this sound right to any of you? Seems like they're doing something dirty here in forcing those who are enthusiastic about the release to pay a much higher price so they can gouge you.

I live in a major city, so finding another Ford dealer is easy - they're a dime a dozen here.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've got a local Ford dealership who claims to be taking names for a wait list (though he admits there are currently only 4 others on it). He said the way it's going to work is that when they announce the ability to actually take orders they're going to contact people on the wait list in order and those that are willing to pay a certain amount over MSRP will be offered the ability to place a pre-order.

Does this sound right to any of you? Seems like they're doing something dirty here in forcing those who are enthusiastic about the release to pay a much higher price so they can gouge you.

I live in a major city, so finding another Ford dealer is easy - they're a dime a dozen here.

Find a new dealer. There is no reason to pay over MSRP or even MSRP if you keep looking.

OP
OP
A

armyturtle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find a new dealer. There is no reason to pay over MSRP or even MSRP if you keep looking.

And suppose they try to give me the, "Well it's in high demand" argument?
I've always heard "no one pays MSRP," but looking at the New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews and Pricing | Edmunds.com website there's a graph that shows a number of users paid MSRP and even over it for some model vehicles (specifically it was when I was looking at F150's and Toyota Tundra's).

Can I realistically tell a dealer "no one pays MSRP" with confidence? Am I certain to find a dealer that isn't going to give me the same shenanigans? I'd be more than happy to actually fly anywhere within a 1000 mile radius to buy a raptor to avoid this crap.

FP Forged

Justin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some dealers just do that. My local dealer tried to charge me 68k on a new 2014 801A SCAB because the truck would soon be discontinued for a few years. Did some research and got it for 47k out the door and they delivered it from NorCal to Nevada. The local Dodge dealer here charged 30k over MSRP for Hellcat's when they first came out.

OP
OP
A

armyturtle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some dealers just do that. My local dealer tried to charge me 68k on a new 2014 801A SCAB because the truck would soon be discontinued for a few years. Did some research and got it for 47k out the door and they delivered it from NorCal to Nevada. The local Dodge dealer here charged 30k over MSRP for Hellcat's when they first came out.

Holy chocolate balls! That's a HUGE discrepancy. Screw that. Thanks for the figures showing the difference. I'm hoping my willingness to both wait and travel out of state to get my vehicle will serve to put dealers on notice that they can't jerk me around. I know they want to make a buck and I'm okay with that (it's a business afterall), but I'm not looking to get *****.

Thx again.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not too sure where you are, but our Ford house in E. Peoria, IL will be selling them. I paid $50.00 over dealer invoice, and I'm sure they will be working deals. I already told them that I would be spreading their name everywhere and to be ready for the phone calls. Uftring Ford in E. Peoria, IL. Ask for Mike Bambrick - General Manager. Make sure he understands that if you're traveling for a deal, that he has to buy you a seafood flatbread to close the deal!!! PS - they don't play that 'waiting list' game. Good guys and the finance department is excellent.....

taco-13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not too sure where you are, but our Ford house in E. Peoria, IL will be selling them. I paid $50.00 over dealer invoice, and I'm sure they will be working deals. I already told them that I would be spreading their name everywhere and to be ready for the phone calls. Uftring Ford in E. Peoria, IL. Ask for Mike Bambrick - General Manager. Make sure he understands that if you're traveling for a deal, that he has to buy you a seafood flatbread to close the deal!!! PS - they don't play that 'waiting list' game. Good guys and the finance department is excellent.....

I contacted them. They will not entertain invoice. He said they have 8 or 9 guys that have purchased raptors in the past that will be purchasing the new Raptor. If any deals will be done it will be with those customers. Makes sense.

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

I have contacted 15 dealers over the last month. In and out of state. I came across a local dealer looking to do that.I also came across a guy starting at 5000 over MSRP. Keep looking. The best I could come up with so far is MSRP. Realistically this being my first raptor and a very new relationship with my local dealer from a recent purchase I do not see anything better then MSRP being available. Good luck with your search.

RAPTORSV

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I believe experience shows that the first units and the first year will be tough to get any kind of deal. MSRP may be the best deal you can find. If demand is higher than supply.

RaptorCoastie

NorCal Raptor Runs
Reaction score
OP, your experience sounds very similar to mine, minus the dealership having a real "list" made up yet. I walked in a little while back to see if they had any new details that were not out there yet. They sat me down with their "Raptor expert" at the dealership #lol. I started asking him questions and he was bumbling around for answers and just read me off the promo stuff they had out at the time. But when he talked to the GM and came back, he said I could give him my information and he would call me closer to release time. And then proceeded to tell me how "since it's a performance vehicle, I'm sure you're aware there will be an up charge to get one of the first ones. But my GM has agreed to give you one of our two allotted vehicles." Then he continued and explained the up charge would be roughly 10-15K OVER MSRP. I just said okay and walked out after that. Not giving my info to a shady dealership like that. But I expect it to be annoying and difficult to find a good deal on a new one for at least the first 2-3 months minimum. Then I think the dealerships that order close to invoice will start doing so.