VIN shows wrong color - any recourse?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got my VIN today, and though the dealer told me two weeks ago that they had changed the color for me, the old color is what shows up on the sticker. They swear that they changed it in the system and say that it must have been a glitch that changed it back. I suspect they changed the wrong truck, but who knows what really happened.

Anyway, the truck is supposed to get built Wednesday - they're calling their regional rep to see if anything can be done but they don't sound optimistic.

I think I'm stuck. Thoughts?

HankTheTank

Reaction score
Minus an act of God, it's take it or leave it.
Just remember that whatever color it is was your first, first choice!

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
You're stuck my friend. Congrats on the build coming though?? I still take that as good news lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
O

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer didn't get back with me today with info from the rep, but I'm assuming that the only option I've got is to give up the truck and order another. I was going in to ask about switching to an '18 anyway so not anything I can't deal with. Levine told me via PM that if I re-ordered, maybe Ford could expedite. I'll wait to see what the dealer/rep says. I could live with it either way, but it's good to know what options might be available. Of course, now that I know I could have a truck in 3 weeks or so, it's harder to give up, lol.

The truck is magnetic. Not a bad color. When I ordered back in November, we just chose a color as a placeholder, since I wanted to see some in person before choosing. They called a few weeks ago to tell me that I'd need to drop the beadlocks if I wanted to get scheduled, and I told them then what color we wanted (silver). They called back to tell me it had been changed and that was the last I'd heard until today. Since I kept the beadlocks, neither the dealer nor I expected the order to get pulled for another month or two.

It funny that this doesn't really bother me. Seems like something that should. I guess that after over a year of looking at this truck, seeing the delays, finally placing an order, the beadlock issue, etc., this just seems like another bump in the road.

Last edited:

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Geeze, brother, wait and see! The ordering process is not a precise science. Could very well be that you received the VIN for your initial order and will receive an updated VIN in due course.

And maybe not. But you won't know what the truck looks like and you won't know how much you like it until you see it. Be patient with the process and be kind to your stomach lining.

Reaction score
I was in the same situation bud. Originally ordered Lightning Blue, then changed to Silver a week later. Dealer color change never went through the system. 4 months later I looked up my window sticker and it showed blue! You can change your color if you have a VIN issued, you can't change it if the window sticker is already produced. Good luck.

---------- Post added at 04:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 AM ----------

Also my dealer did sweet nothing to compensate me. Could have given up the truck and reordered at the back of the line but did not want to wait another 4+ months.

OP
OP
O

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geeze, brother, wait and see!

That's what I'll do - I just want to figure out what options I have before I have to make any decisions about it.

Like you say, I may like the magnetic after I see it.

---------- Post added at 10:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

I was in the same situation bud. Originally ordered Lightning Blue, then changed to Silver a week later. Dealer color change never went through the system. 4 months later I looked up my window sticker and it showed blue! You can change your color if you have a VIN issued, you can't change it if the window sticker is already produced. Good luck.

---------- Post added at 04:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 AM ----------

Also my dealer did sweet nothing to compensate me. Could have given up the truck and reordered at the back of the line but did not want to wait another 4+ months.

I'm sure if I get anything from this it will be from ford, though I think the dealer I'm working with is O.K. in that regard. Just not good with following up on color changes.

I have to say that I'm really surprised how quickly my truck went from "you ain't getting one with beadlocks anytime soon" to "it's getting built on wednesday". I mean, from the day I ordered it, no one at the dealership expected this truck to be built before April, and we were worried about it not getting into production until May.

I think it's a good indication that Ford is catching up with orders.

Last edited: