VIN Question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrumReaper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my VIN and have a mid-Feb delivery date. Have a question though, as I have seen two different Raptor VIN styles on Ford inventory search.

1FTFW1RG4HFA.....

vs

1FTFW1RGXHFA.....

Does anyone know the significance of the "X" in the 9th place versus a number?

Last edited:

1phatstang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford calls it a "check digit" - I've seen all kinds of things in the 9th character of Ford VINs. Really doesn't mean a thing to consumers.
It is inserted as a mathematical algorithm to verify a vehicle's VIN authenticity. (Whew, that was hard to type!).

Last edited:

J.Bodolay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my VIN and have a mid-Feb delivery date. Have a question though, as I have seen two different Raptor VIN styles on Ford inventory search.

1FTFW1RG4HFA.....

vs

1FTFW1RGXHFA.....

Does anyone know the significance of the "X" in the 9th place versus a number?

As per above, the 'X' is in the "Check Digit" position. Used for ensuring that the VIN string is uncorrupted. The below example has a 2 in the Check Digit position. If you work on your own vehicle enough, you will soon memorize the last 8 digits, as that is the magic number needed at the dealer parts counter to get parts that are supposed to fit your ride.

Correct: Ex: 1FTFW1RG2HFA56772
Position Description
1 1 World Manufacturer Identifier (1FT = FORD USA)
2 F "
3 T "
4 F Restraint type or GVWR class
5 W Model (W1R=SCREW RAPTOR; X1R= SCAB RAPTOR)
6 1 "
7 R "
8 G Engine type ( G= new 3.5L H.0.)
9 2 Check digit
10 H Model year (H=2017)
11 F Factory ID (F= DEARBORN)
12 A Sequential number (A00001-F99999)
13 5 "
14 6 "
15 7 "
16 7 "
17 2 "