Vehicle question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joshuak172

Reaction score
So, here is my dilemma. I live 50 miles outside DC and commute every day. We have a farm where I could regularly use a truck on the weekends to haul and tow and every once in a while during the week. We have a large family that is continuing to grow and I am struggling to figure out which vehicle to get next. I love the raptor and would have one if it weren’t for the fact that it doesn’t have full speed adaptive cruise yet. I know, it’s not at all a truck which is designed for commuting but it’s an absolute necessity in my commute. I could always get a Honda to commute in and have the raptor on The Weeknd’s but what a waste that would be the other 5 days of the week. My question is, what would you guys buy to satisfy these needs?

Jake17

★ REBEL LIFE ★
Reaction score
:hmmm2:

Attachments

• slide-6-of-6-chrysler-pacifica-with-s-appearance-package__311844_.jpg
    slide-6-of-6-chrysler-pacifica-with-s-appearance-package__311844_.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 20

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Quite literally, any truck would satisfy those needs. I'm not sure what you mean when you say the Raptor isn't designed for commuting.

Last edited:

MurMech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Instead of a raptor, why not get a XLT supercrew or something similar. Why do you need adaptive cruise control?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
get a bike, some heated gear and you’re good for 85-90% of the time around DC. Bikes give you access to HOV lanes, even though you’re HOV negative.

Seriously, if you want the Rap, get it. adaptive cruise works great it just doesn’t go down to zero mph. I think it cuts at 12 mph or something? if that’s a deal breaker for you, well, not really much any of us can do.

I don’t trust cruise in DC Metro traffic anyway, too many idiots in too little real estate around DC. once things start to go below about 25mph, people begin to get less and less patient and do stupid $hit. Adaptive cruise will drop anchor on you if someone does a last minute lane change at a lower speed. It’s a PITA and you may spill your latte / mocha. I find it easier to stay in sport mode and not leave enough gap for people to do that. Also, I don’t know what you’re parking’s like, but the Rap is 78.5 or 6 feet 6.5 inches tall and needs about a 6’8” garage. The garages at the Taj Majal in Fairfax is 6’6”

good luck.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure how a single feature that cuts off at 12 MPH vs 0 MPH is enough to be a deal breaker on a $70K purchase? I always weigh the MANY pro's and cons of ANY major purchase and make a decision about whether they really matter. The ACC issue is one that was not even on my list, nor has it mattered to me since buying one.

If you want to drive an awesome truck that does everything you mentioned, get one. If you will not be able to live without ACC that goes to 0, buy a 2018 KR or Platinum and regret not making the decision on the Raptor for the other 99% of the time.

Helopilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to go with Smurf on the adaptive cruise. If you are out on the highway and come up behind slower traffic it does a fair job of slowing to match the speed of the vehicle ahead without giving you whiplash from braking, and once it matches the speed it is wonderful to not have to worry about the idiot ahead who doesn’t know how to maintain a constant speed. The system is very “abrupt” with the braking when you get into traffic that has large speed changes. If you are comfortable with very harsh braking when the cars ahead slow you will like the adaptive cruise on these trucks. I find it very unsettling to use it in near stop and go traffic. I am constantly worried that the car behind me is going to rear end me because of the amount of braking and how fast the system applies it when the car ahead slows. That being said, I live in a rural area and consider the adaptive cruise one of the nicest electronic features on my truck. I just prefer not to use it in the big city because of how harsh the braking is.