Update on intercooler fan mud issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
K

Kirito

Reaction score
Why replace the skid plate? You’ll be less likely to care about dinging that one up. My two cents.

Good question! A guy I know replaced his Raptor's front bumper with an aftermarket one, and he's willng to give me his stock skidplate as a, in his own words, "good luck gift". Maybe I'll just keep it in my pickup bed as a charm instead of actually using it haha

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
not for nothing, the fan issue is problematic on all raptors.

When I went out to the raptor assault program, we had snow, and thus mud.

The instructors explained the awful noise that we were all hearing once we got the trucks a bit dirty. The fans due to being caked in mud.

Even the instructors said that they learned the hard lesson of the fans by experience. Now they make sure to powerwash the fans after being in the mud.

Not that it will make you feel any better about dropping $600, but at least know that the truck wasnt necessarily beaten hard and not cared for. It's a common issue even with what i would call light offroading, like at the raptor assault.

Yep, same experience here wat Raptor Assault. It was raining the previous night and the first couple hours of our morning so we had a decent amount of mud. We didn't do anything remotely abusive to those cars but the IC fans were an issue.

Ironwood

Reaction score
"Turns out the entire engine bay was caked in dry mud"

Good tip! Before buying a vehicle, pop the hood and make sure the entire engine bay isn't caked in dry mud. Who knew, right?

OP
OP
K

Kirito

Reaction score
"Turns out the entire engine bay was caked in dry mud"

Good tip! Before buying a vehicle, pop the hood and make sure the entire engine bay isn't caked in dry mud. Who knew, right?

As I stated, there's a lesson to be learned here.

I'm in CA, the dealership is in TX. I didn't exactly have the luxury to fly out and take a look at the truck in person. They provided a pic of the engine bay, and from the surface it looked fine. It wasn't until you peeked through the nooks and crannys that you really see the mud. Plus, the dealership being an actual FORD dealership and not some run of the mill used car lot made me a bit more trusting. I expected them to hold some sort of standard when selling preowned vehicles. Obviously, I was wrong.

I appreciate your input.

Sharkus29

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I stated, there's a lesson to be learned here.

I'm in CA, the dealership is in TX. I didn't exactly have the luxury to fly out and take a look at the truck in person. They provided a pic of the engine bay, and from the surface it looked fine. It wasn't until you peeked through the nooks and crannys that you really see the mud. Plus, the dealership being an actual FORD dealership and not some run of the mill used car lot made me a bit more trusting. I expected them to hold some sort of standard when selling preowned vehicles. Obviously, I was wrong.

I appreciate your input.

Some people don't even read the post before they comment

8WOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bro,

If it was a certified pre owned truck, and it arrived in that condition, the dealer did not do the inspection correctly. Most the time these service departments don't do anything but register it in the ford system as pre owned certified. Call ford customer support explain to them your situation. If they don't immediately address the problem call again and get someone else on their hotline to help you. FORD Mo Co will come down hard on a dealer for failure to comply with Ford Mo Co policies. I had an engine in a mustang blow up with just 3000 miles on it, and the dealer told me it wasn't covered. One call to the hotline and the next day there was a Ford engineer flying out to my dealer to break down the engine. I got a new engine installed under warranty in less than 2 weeks and the dealership fired the service manager.

Most employees of dealerships are turds and only want to make money, they don't know or even care about Ford Mo Co policies, but if they get reported not following them, Ford will crush them.

reaper1441

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read the post above mine. Hes right. I worked at a dealer that did some shady things and toyota nuked the service department.

Last edited:

ThugHunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Outside your house in the FBI Surveillance Van
Bro,

If it was a certified pre owned truck, and it arrived in that condition, the dealer did not do the inspection correctly. Most the time these service departments don't do anything but register it in the ford system as pre owned certified. Call ford customer support explain to them your situation. If they don't immediately address the problem call again and get someone else on their hotline to help you. FORD Mo Co will come down hard on a dealer for failure to comply with Ford Mo Co policies. I had an engine in a mustang blow up with just 3000 miles on it, and the dealer told me it wasn't covered. One call to the hotline and the next day there was a Ford engineer flying out to my dealer to break down the engine. I got a new engine installed under warranty in less than 2 weeks and the dealership fired the service manager.

Most employees of dealerships are turds and only want to make money, they don't know or even care about Ford Mo Co policies, but if they get reported not following them, Ford will crush them.

The truck he's referring to was not a CPO Raptor. I live 80 miles from the dealer he bought this truck from and was going to take a look at it myself until I spoke to the dealer over the phone and realized they wouldn't budge on the price. Yeah the truck only had 3k miles on it, but it was a 2017 (going on two year old since built truck) and they were still asking $61,***. Then I discovered the truck was a Missouri truck, bought at auction rather than traded in locally. Then there's the, why doesn't this dealer certify it? There were too many red flags for my liking.

No offense OP, but when they received a phone call from a prospective California buyer, who wasn't even going to check the truck out in person or send a company out to inspect it, they were thinking this is gonna be the easiest sale they've ever had. For future reference, hire a 3rd party company to inspect the vehicle that way you know what you're getting.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The truck he's referring to was not a CPO Raptor. I live 80 miles from the dealer he bought this truck from and was going to take a look at it myself until I spoke to the dealer over the phone and realized they wouldn't budge on the price. Yeah the truck only had 3k miles on it, but it was a 2017 (going on two year old since built truck) and they were still asking $61,***. Then I discovered the truck was a Missouri truck, bought at auction rather than traded in locally. Then there's the, why doesn't this dealer certify it? There were too many red flags for my liking.

No offense OP, but when they received a phone call from a prospective California buyer, who wasn't even going to check the truck out in person or send a company out to inspect it, they were thinking this is gonna be the easiest sale they've ever had. For future reference, hire a 3rd party company to inspect the vehicle that way you know what you're getting.

I just read the OP again after reading this and noticed he said "certified ford DEALERSHIP" and not CPO Raptor... Important distinction. Sucks for the OP but it does sound like a lack of due diligence stemming from an impulse buy.

That said, I'd still contact Ford and see if they are willing to do anything for you.