An Unexpected Raptor Owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CobraJunkie

Reaction score
Hi all. Newb here and soon-to-be Raptor owner.

Long story short... I had a Lariat Sport on order since April 18th and after much BS with my local dealer trying to find the status of my build on COTUS, I was told this past Monday that the 2017 Lariats were "balanced out". This means that the Dearborn facility are through building 2017s and transitioning to 2018s which are deliverable in October. In the same day, this dealer had told me it was in production but couldn't provide a VIN and when pressed to provide the VIN, I was told it was still in order processing and no VIN was assigned. A call to Ford Customer Care quickly confirmed it ain't gonna happen. sigh.

I quickly found a new dealer who searched high and low for a similar equipped Lariat but no joy. My plan was to purchase a Lithium Gray Lariat Sport and make it "Raptor Like" mostly for Lariat towing capacity. Not that I really NEEDED the capacity but more for "just in case" with extended telescoping mirrors, etc. I pre-bought 17" Roost wheels and BFGs, Raptor grill, flares, Special Edition LEDs headlights, level kit, blocks for rear, the whole freakin yards.

So sitting there at the dealer, I notice a Ruby Red Raptor sitting outside the showroom and asked to take it for a drive.

So now I have three options:

1. Find something close to my original optioned up Lariat build elsewhere in the country.
2. Wait until October for the 2018 Lariat in Lead Foot Gray optioned same.
3. Throw caution to the wind and grab the Ruby Red Raptor.

Well if you've read this far, you've probably guessed #3 but you'd be wrong. No offense but Ruby Red just would't jive with my feng shui. Couldn't do it. The dealer mentioned they are taking delivery of a Magnetic Gray Raptor in two weeks and now... IT IS MINE!!!! Deal is done and I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am. Should have my ride by July 5th latest. :biggrin:

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
Study up on the problems that these trucks are now experiencing. There are big ecoboost gremlins that were carried over in the engine design and making big problems for many.

xxaarraa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP, price-wise, a loaded LAriat can't be too far off from a Raptor? And a loaded raptor is a NICE place to be. So I don't see a lot of reason not to get a raptor - way cooler, and better resale value down the line because its more desirable. So you made the right call! Congratulations!

Oh, ignore sasquatch and jake. Both trolls.

mr_beaverhousen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey congrats on the Magnetic Raptor and where are you that there are two of them that haven't been pre-sold?!

I usually go for the grey tones as well and never would have selected RR if I were doing a factory order, but gotta say I love it now that I have it.

Welcome to the forum!

OP
OP
CobraJunkie

CobraJunkie

Reaction score
Hey congrats on the Magnetic Raptor and where are you that there are two of them that haven't been pre-sold?!

I usually go for the grey tones as well and never would have selected RR if I were doing a factory order, but gotta say I love it now that I have it.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks and please don't take offense. If the dealer didn't tell me that a Magnetic was two weeks behind, the Ruby Red would be in my driveway tonight. It's the nicest red produced and it's a smokin looking Raptor. The dealer had a Magnetic and Black coming in two weeks so I jumped on the Mag. Dealers up here in the Northeast are asking stupid money for Raptors. 10K or more over MSRP is the norm but you can seriously negotiate. I guess you gotta pay to play but there are some that might say this is "gouging". F**K that. Go to your safe place and have a good cry while I'm tearing up s**t in my new Raptor. :biggrin: I'm so freakin happy.

OP
OP
CobraJunkie

CobraJunkie

Reaction score
OP, price-wise, a loaded LAriat can't be too far off from a Raptor? And a loaded raptor is a NICE place to be. So I don't see a lot of reason not to get a raptor - way cooler, and better resale value down the line because its more desirable. So you made the right call! Congratulations!

Thanks and loaded it is. Could not be happier tonight and I'm celebrating with some chilled Makers Mark.

OP
OP
CobraJunkie

CobraJunkie

Reaction score

Thanks and loaded it will be. Could not be happier tonight and I'm celebrating with some chilled Makers Mark and Google images of Raptors. So cool.