Ugh.....Oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MJslasherADMIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine at the dealer yesterday. Slow oil leak in the same spot as everyone else. Dealer ordered new pan. No TSB but he did see some notes on it in the system.

Can you take a picture of your oil pan? I want to see how much oil it has on it.

Can someone pinpoint the spot where the leak starts? Is it up near the gasket above plastic drain plug area? Or on the opposite end?

Just trying to isolate where it leaks for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
shapiroeric

shapiroeric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have some oil on mine but not a lot. Hoping its from when I changed the oil. Going to clean it up today and monitor.

Are there any TSB of any kind at all on the Gen2? I haven't seen anything yet, but I haven't looked either.

Park it overnight and there will be obvious spots on the ground....

taco-13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you take a picture of your oil pan? I want to see how much oil it has on it.

Can someone pinpoint the spot where the leak starts? Is it up near the gasket above plastic drain plug area? Or on the opposite end?

Just trying to isolate where it leaks for everyone.

There are pictures on the first page. Here is what my truck is doing. Its leaking from a single bolt where the plastic oil pan mounts to the aluminum.

Attachments

• IMG_2937.jpg
    IMG_2937.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 223

taco-13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New oil pan was installed today. To early to tell if its fixed. Not really to thrilled with Ford. They reused my original oil and "topped it off" Could have called me and sold me on an oil change. They also released it back to me the same day. Others have said the silicon needs to cure overnight. Glad to have the truck back so fast but hope this wasn't rushed out the door.

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score
New oil pan was installed today. To early to tell if its fixed. Not really to thrilled with Ford. They reused my original oil and "topped it off" Could have called me and sold me on an oil change. They also released it back to me the same day. Others have said the silicon needs to cure overnight. Glad to have the truck back so fast but hope this wasn't rushed out the door.

giphy.gif

Glad you got it back tho.

J.Bodolay

Full Access Member
Reaction score

No Requirement for overnight curing with the "Motorcraft® High Performance Engine RTV Silicone / TA-357 (WSE-M4G323-A6)" There is a "Speedy Install" Note though:
"NOTE: The oil pan must be installed and the oil pan aligned to the cylinder block within 4 minutes of sealant application. Final tightening of the oil pan bolts must be carried out within 60 minutes of sealant application."​

Strange they reused the oil. R&R procedure calls for a new filter and fresh oil.
14. NOTE: Do not lubricate the engine oil filter gasket.
Install a new oil filter.
Torque:
Stage 1: 44 lb.in (5 Nm)
Stage 2: 180°

19. Fill the engine with clean engine oil.
Refer to: Specifications (303-01C Engine - 3.5L EcoBoost (272kW/370PS), Specifications).
Material: Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil / XO-5W30-QSP (WSS-M2C946-A)​

taco-13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No Requirement for overnight curing with the "Motorcraft® High Performance Engine RTV Silicone / TA-357 (WSE-M4G323-A6)" There is a "Speedy Install" Note though:
"NOTE: The oil pan must be installed and the oil pan aligned to the cylinder block within 4 minutes of sealant application. Final tightening of the oil pan bolts must be carried out within 60 minutes of sealant application."​

Strange they reused the oil. R&R procedure calls for a new filter and fresh oil.
14. NOTE: Do not lubricate the engine oil filter gasket.
Install a new oil filter.
Torque:
Stage 1: 44 lb.in (5 Nm)
Stage 2: 180°

19. Fill the engine with clean engine oil.
Refer to: Specifications (303-01C Engine - 3.5L EcoBoost (272kW/370PS), Specifications).
Material: Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil / XO-5W30-QSP (WSS-M2C946-A)​

Thank you for that information. Where is this information coming from? I would like to refer to it when they call me back.

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

Really they didn't put in new oil. I would flip.

They said the oil is good till 7000 miles and the warranty service I was having done didn't cover it. I am so tired of excuses and people cutting corners.

coder

Reaction score
There should be a standard amount the dealer can bill Ford for the repair. If the recommended procedure calls for new oil and filter that cost should be included in the reimbursement.

I can't imagine Ford recommending putting used oil back in the motor, the risk of it being contaminated with dirt, debris and other fluids once out of the vehicle would be high and an unnecessary liability.