Ugh.....Oil leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BajaFred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FINALLY! Dang, that took a long while!

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

I looked up the part # you listed and it fits all F150s with the 3.5TT, even the Raptor, so I would say it is the same... Heck, you can get brand new OEM pans for $35 on eBay. LOL

So HL3Z6675A is the old plastic pan? Anyone have a part number for the new metal pan?

costnsg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update on the 3rd Attempt at Leak Repair

On the second attempt to repair my oil pan leak, they installed a new pan. I picked it up and have run it for a few days. It's leaking worse now that it ever has, so that attempt at repair was definitely not successful.

I stopped by the dealership today and had a good chat with the service manager. The attitudes were positive, but, unfortunately, no real breakthrough or insights into why the first two attempts at repair were unsuccessful. I did suggest that on the next attempt they drive the truck a few miles with the skid plates off and then recheck for leaks before they declare the repair complete.

I scheduled my truck back to the shop on Monday for the third repair attempt.

This is getting tiring.

Picked up my truck yesterday. Here is what was done on the 3rd repair attempt:
1. Oil pan removed and allowed to sit for 18 hrs so oil could drain from inside walls of engine block.
2. Clean the sealing surfaces of all oil (I hope).
3. Install pan (new on second attempt, so slightly used at this point) with recommended Ford sealant
4. Let sit for 24 hours for sealant to cure, skid plates not installed
5. Dealer drove truck several miles and checked for leaks with none found
6. Cleaned transmission pan of engine oil blown back on it, also cleaned top of skid plates and reinstalled
7. I asked them to put the truck on the lift before I left with it so I could get a look (much better than crawling under it)

Note that this approach is a 3 day repair.

I drove it home and checked for leaks. So far so good, but that's a short trip. Fingers crossed!

costnsg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally!

Picked up my truck yesterday. Here is what was done on the 3rd repair attempt:
1. Oil pan removed and allowed to sit for 18 hrs so oil could drain from inside walls of engine block.
2. Clean the sealing surfaces of all oil (I hope).
3. Install pan (new on second attempt, so slightly used at this point) with recommended Ford sealant
4. Let sit for 24 hours for sealant to cure, skid plates not installed
5. Dealer drove truck several miles and checked for leaks with none found
6. Cleaned transmission pan of engine oil blown back on it, also cleaned top of skid plates and reinstalled
7. I asked them to put the truck on the lift before I left with it so I could get a look (much better than crawling under it)

Note that this approach is a 3 day repair.

I drove it home and checked for leaks. So far so good, but that's a short trip. Fingers crossed!

OK folks. It's been a week of daily driving and I am happy to report that I have no sign of a leak from the oil pan. Damn, it's about time! I sure hope it stays that way from here on.

baja714

Reaction score
Oil pan leak, round 2.

Original pan was replaced at about 3500 miles. Just went under to change the oil at 9400 miles and noticed oil around the pan seal and under the pan again [emoji849] but I haven’t noticed any on the garage floor...yet

Is it true they’re now replacing them with a metal pan and does anyone have the part number on that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

costnsg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil pan leak, round 2.

Original pan was replaced at about 3500 miles. Just went under to change the oil at 9400 miles and noticed oil around the pan seal and under the pan again [emoji849] but I haven’t noticed any on the garage floor...yet

Is it true they’re now replacing them with a metal pan and does anyone have the part number on that?

I saw another thread that had pics of a recent 2018 build that shipped with a metal oil pan. The same thread had a comment from someone who claimed he tried a to retrofit a new, metal pan and there was some interference with the oil suction tube. I don't recall if it was on this forum or another one. You could probably find it on google.

I just got my truck out of the dealer a week ago after the third repair attempt. On the first two tries, I sprayed the pan with a degreaser to get it good and clean, then you can easily see if there is a leak. If you didn't look closely when your repair was done before, it may have been leaking the entire time. Mine never did get to the ground that i could see in the garage or the driveway.

I outlined the procedure used on the third repair attempt above in this thread. We'll see if it holds or not. Not leaking yet.

Good luck. I know exactly how you feel.

OP
OP
shapiroeric

shapiroeric

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil pan leak, round 2.

Mine was replaced both times with the original pan.....email Ford and express your displeasure with their product.....push for an extended warranty.....I got one

baja714

Reaction score
Mine was replaced both times with the original pan.....email Ford and express your displeasure with their product.....push for an extended warranty.....I got one

nice man thanks for the info. do you have an email address?

Boost_it638

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noticed oil on the driveway today when I got home from work.....crawled under and checked out the oil pan. Shes a leaker! Thought I was safe. 2017 with 10,500 miles on it. Calling dealer tomorrow for an appointment.

bailer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw another thread that had pics of a recent 2018 build that shipped with a metal oil pan. The same thread had a comment from someone who claimed he tried a to retrofit a new, metal pan and there was some interference with the oil suction tube. I don't recall if it was on this forum or another one. You could probably find it on google.

I just got my truck out of the dealer a week ago after the third repair attempt. On the first two tries, I sprayed the pan with a degreaser to get it good and clean, then you can easily see if there is a leak. If you didn't look closely when your repair was done before, it may have been leaking the entire time. Mine never did get to the ground that i could see in the garage or the driveway.

I outlined the procedure used on the third repair attempt above in this thread. We'll see if it holds or not. Not leaking yet.

Good luck. I know exactly how you feel.

Just had my pan replaced yesterday. Checked it today and it all looks dry around the new plastic pan. There was oil film left on the front diff from the original removal. I was going to spray it with degreaser as you mentioned, but on second thought decided not to. Fresh silicone is probably somewhat vulnerable to solvents. I know brake cleaner cleans up fresh silicone, so better safe than sorry I guess.

Boost_it638

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have the new oil pan that they replaced leak? A little over 3000 miles since I had mine replaced and I'm pretty sure it's leaking again.